Loop Selection Length

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
mpavlovich
My fingers hurt
First Name: Michael
Artist Handle: PavMike
Resonic: Pro

Loop Selection Length

Apologies if this has come up already (I did a search and didn't see anything); when I have a selection made, I wasn't able to find any way to determine the length of the loop selection. I know about the show remaining toggle, but didn't see anything in the File menu for showing loop selection length.

If indeed it's not there (I might just be blind), it'd be useful for me to determine the closest appropriate sample to extract based on the time I need to fill. I might be an edge case though, so it's not a deal breaker if that info would just add clutter and/or not really be used much by most users!
Attachments
resonicProLoopTime.jpg

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

If indeed it's not there (I might just be blind), it'd be useful for me to determine the closest appropriate sample to extract based on the time I need to fill. I might be an edge case though, so it's not a deal breaker if that info would just add clutter and/or not really be used much by most users!
You're not blind :) It's indeed not there, at least in releases so far.

The attempts so far to show start/end/length added clutter to our dev versions in a bad way. These its are so basic, they might need to go into another toolbar potentially. While on a big screen (1440p+) there's enough room in the toolbar middle section on lower resolution screens (1080p-) these elements disappear quickly and cannot even be used then. I believe the best solution so far is to add new info bars below, or above, the waveform. What do you think?
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

mpavlovich
My fingers hurt

That'd work! I don't know if it'd get "overwhelmed" by some waveforms, but even plunking it inside the waveform area like the time indicator box might work (attached).

I kept it away from the bottom right to stay away from the copy-selection-to box, paused is at the bottom left, upper right is the track time, upper left might be misconstrued as the in-time marker...so maybe just keeping it center justified might work haha. Just a thought!
Attachments
loopLength.jpg
loopLength.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 6508 times

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re:

mpavlovich wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 00:18
That'd work! I don't know if it'd get "overwhelmed" by some waveforms, but even plunking it inside the waveform area like the time indicator box might work (attached).

I kept it away from the bottom right to stay away from the copy-selection-to box, paused is at the bottom left, upper right is the track time, upper left might be misconstrued as the in-time marker...so maybe just keeping it center justified might work haha. Just a thought!
That's quite nice, I'll give it some thought.

I sketched out (invisible) selection zones within the waveform quite long ago, to do things faster, but the problem I keep having with other things as well when it comes to drawing into the waveform is that a lot of content is non-stereo. Now imagine how that'd look on a mono waveform (probably anywhere between decent and annoying), with three (like mono), four (good, like stereo because on channel line), or 17 channels. Still, if it was a temporary indicator while selecting that could work. There's quite a few cases to take into account, also think about short selections, shorter than the label. What do you think?
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

mpavlovich
My fingers hurt

Re: Loop Selection Length

Oh yeah, that'd be real annoying on mono selections and super short lengths...in that case, maybe just a drop down option to switch to loop length instead of the "show remaining" toggle area?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re: Loop Selection Length

mpavlovich wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 18:39
Oh yeah, that'd be real annoying on mono selections and super short lengths...in that case, maybe just a drop down option to switch to loop length instead of the "show remaining" toggle area?
mmmm :-?