Resonic Alpha 999 released

Discuss Resonic and other Liqube Audio products
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Resonic Alpha 999 released

Resonic Alpha 999 is finally here. Get it on http://www.resonic.at !

This big update brings numerous essential performance and usability improvements, tons of fixes, and a couple of new features.

This release also marks the end of the Alpha phase, and introduces version numbers. The website was reworked as well. About a year after Resonic was first released to the public the player's core is exceptionally fast, stable, and flexible enough to go Beta.

For a full list of changes, improvements, and new features read http://www.resonic.at/whatsnew or use the 'What's New' tab on the Resonic Facebook page. There are almost 70 (!) items in the changelog for this particular update.

New and updated keyboard shortcuts can be found here http://www.resonic.at/docs/shortcuts

Why don't you drop by the discussion forums some time?
http://www.resonic.at/forums

A lot of work went into this. Thanks have to fly out to the supporters, the beta testing team, private testers, and to all the users sending me feedback all the time.

Enjoy :)
On Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=620267414693114
Attachments
Posting 3 third.png
Posting 3 third.png (58.49 KiB) Viewed 21915 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

m0d
Starting to like this

Re: Resonic Alpha 999 released

I can not seem to use the shortcut "Alt+Num +", either it does not work or my keyboard does not support it, no dialog box ever appears.

Ctrl+ selecting files does not affect playback though, i.e. play only selected files.

Currently only "loop current track indefinitely" is available, does the folder repeat automatically?
Is there a way to play folder once or repeat folder playback?
What about play next folder?

Also,
When using Resonic Player Portable, the profiles folder stores user settings?
Would you consider the PortableApps.com Format http://portableapps.com/development/por ... com_format, more information can be found in their quite active forums.
-------------
As of now the player is fast, simple, with a good interface.
But, for me to use it more often multiple folder playback and/or a simple Queue system needs to be implemented.

What is the planned roadmap, upcoming features, priority lists?

In my opinion the player, resonic player, needs a system to control the playback, not just the ability to play a single folder, but to be able to manage multiple folders and specific files in a folder. The simplest way is to have a queue and add files to the queue that need to be "worked on". With a queue playlist support is a plus.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

m0d wrote:I can not seem to use the shortcut "Alt+Num +", either it does not work or my keyboard does not support it, no dialog box ever appears.
Sure you pressed ALT and the + or - key on the numpad?
Ctrl+ selecting files does not affect playback though, i.e. play only selected files.
It's currently just selections. I will give this more thought.
Currently only "loop current track indefinitely" is available, does the folder repeat automatically?
Is there a way to play folder once or repeat folder playback?
The folder keeps playing when random mode is on. In sequential mode it plays until the end, then stops. There are no other playback options yet, but I'll be working on this next.
What about play next folder?
There's shortcuts available for that as of now, CTRL-UP/DOWN, listed as the very first shortcuts at http://resonic.at/docs/shortcuts
When using Resonic Player Portable, the profiles folder stores user settings?
Open up resonicboot.ini and have a look at the comments.
Would you consider the PortableApps.com Format
Whoever builds a PortableApps package for Resonic basically just has to edit resonicboot.ini and point to the appropriate storage path. However, that would require pointing to something like "..\..\data", which is not possible as of now, mostly for security reasons.

So here's a deal: if you provide me with an almost finished PortableApps package for Resonic I'll make sure the application runs off it properly.
But, for me to use it more often multiple folder playback and/or a simple Queue system needs to be implemented. That is the planned roadmap, upcoming features, priority lists?
My todo list currently contains around 350 items, so there is a lot to do. I'll be regrouping in the next couple of days and decide what to work on next, but playlist support is probably one of the biggest chunks on the Beta roadmap, browsing history, things like that.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Hi
Latest beta works fine on both computers i am currently using (32 an 64bit systems).
It starts quickly, it is well responsive.

However, i wish we could have [F2] = rename file.
(We already have standard [ctrl+X], [F5], etc).

Also, I wish the drag&drop / copy/cut&paste files from a folder to another one could be improved, i can't really get my head around it :P

Blackout
Beta Tester

wshaper wrote: However, i wish we could have [F2] = rename file.
+1 !!!!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:
+1 !!!!
This is on the roadmap for the next release.

In addition to single-file rename I'll come up with special twist for renaming multiple files at once, based on a tool I wrote several years ago.

wshaper
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:
Blackout wrote:
+1 !!!!
This is on the roadmap for the next release.

In addition to single-file rename I'll come up with special twist for renaming multiple files at once, based on a tool I wrote several years ago.
great !

Blackout
Beta Tester

awesome Tom! glad to see you understand the importance of this one! Thanks!

Blackout

wshaper
Beta Tester

I also wish we could chose the interface and audio settings from within Resonic (maybe for "Pro" only ?)

Blackout
Beta Tester

wshaper this has been requested a few times. I believe Tom responded that it was indeed going to be in the "Pro" version. important too I agree

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:I also wish we could chose the interface and audio settings from within Resonic (maybe for "Pro" only ?)
Preferences dialog + sound card/driver selection will be in one of the next updates, free version as well. I intend on doing smaller updates in future, starting with the first Beta, i.e. with the next release.

ASIO support will be exclusive to the Pro.

wasd
I'll think of more soon

I like Resonic a lot but the only thing that stops me from using it as my main audio player is the fact that becomes CPU intensive while the songs are switching (just for 2 seconds or so). Monitored other players and CPU is rarely using 1%. So, any chance to fix this anytime soon?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Are you on a dual core CPU?

Resonic scans the waveforms when you switch files, even if the waveform is hidden. This has already been improved and will be gone in the next release, i.e. it will only scan if the wave is actually visible.

wasd
I'll think of more soon

Yes, dual-core. This one. Happy to hear that it can be fixed in near future.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wasd wrote:Yes, dual-core. This one. Happy to hear that it can be fixed in near future.
It's using up one core for processing, hence the 50% total CPU usage on switching.

The first Beta (0.60b) will improve this behavior, as long as the wave is hidden, or the analyzer is active. In both cases Resonic won't scan the files in background.

I'm working hard to get it out as soon as possible.

mikemcsw
Starting to like this
First Name: mike

DSD Yet??

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mikemcsw wrote:DSD Yet??
For a while now. Get 0.8.1b. Included as downmix in Player. ASIO bit-perfect in Pro at some point.

mikemcsw
Starting to like this
First Name: mike

that is what i meant, native dsd with asio...you said you were testing awhile ago.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mikemcsw wrote:that is what i meant, native dsd with asio...you said you were testing awhile ago.
Working on the preferences system at the moment here, which is the basis for all configurability including soundcard settings. A step that needs to be done before I can actually start working on the individual sound options. So that's next up then, from WASAPI to ASIO.