Simple way to rename files in Resonic Player-?

Discuss Resonic and other Liqube Audio products
MrCoffeehouse
Getting the hang of it
First Name: Michael
Primary DAW: Tracktion 7, Tracktion 6, Tracktion 3

Simple way to rename files in Resonic Player-?

Greetings Resonic folks -

Is there is a straightforward way to rename files in Resonic Player-?

Thanks, Michael at The Coffeehouse

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Simple way to rename files in Resonic Player-?

Hey Michael,

not currently. But this is on the high priority todo list. We're building new user interface components at the moment, which includes the elements we need to implement several user input-based features. We'll also provide an editor-based solution for renaming multiple files at once.

A few workarounds for now:
1. SHIFT-click a file to invoke the Explorer menu, go to Properties, and rename it there
2. Press ALT-ENTER to invoke the Properties dialog directly, and rename it there
3. Press CTRL-ENTER to open Explorer with the current file, then press F2, in order to rename it.

All not very nice, but at least something. We're working on it!
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

MrCoffeehouse
Getting the hang of it

Looking forward to the updates :0)

I've always enjoyed the donationware 'bulk rename utility' program that's floated around for years. It'll be so incredibly helpful to have something like that in the Resonic Player. Cheers -m

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

MrCoffeehouse wrote:Looking forward to the updates :0)

I've always enjoyed the donationware 'bulk rename utility' program that's floated around for years. It'll be so incredibly helpful to have something like that in the Resonic Player. Cheers -m
What's a common scenario for you when renaming? What do you rename from, what to? Out of curiosity.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

MrCoffeehouse
Getting the hang of it

I mostly have used bulk renaming in the past for collections of photographs, lol - where I name a series of photos with the name, followed by a numbering scheme of 01 through xx. Having 01 through 09 with the zero in there is important when listing the renamed files alphabetically. The bulk renaming utility was great at offering a multitude of useful ways to (re)name and number files.

In terms of audio files, I could see the renaming / organizing of sample collections, midi file collections, sound effect collections, loop collections..

There were some options included in the bulk rename utility that are not obvious, yet very handy, like the ability to add a space a certain number of letters into a word, or replacing, let's say an underscore, with a blank space.

Check out the program if you don't already know about it:
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Cheers -m

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Yep, I know that tool. Well, I think we'll provide some basic rename tools via the aforementioned editor. I'll see what I can adopt that makes the most sense (like numbering, fill character replacement and removal, etc.) :)

MrCoffeehouse
Getting the hang of it

Good deal -!

yewtreemagic
Ambassador

Sound Designers also often find themselves having to slightly rename dozens of sample files, and it would be really handy to be able to do this from within Resonic Player.

Sometimes this is because a particular sample player expects its multi-samples to be in a particular format for them to be properly recognised (e.g. root pitch or velocity).

At others this is simply because you need to change an instrument name slightly, and its dozens of associated sample names all have to be tweaked in line with this.

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

yewtreemagic wrote:Sometimes this is because a particular sample player expects its multi-samples to be in a particular format for them to be properly recognised (e.g. root pitch or velocity).
That's a good reminder. Could make certain types of meta data available to renaming within the editor!

yewtreemagic
Ambassador

Excellent idea Tom! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic

StevieBoy
Supporter

Yep, been after a simple rename in resonic for so long, such an utter basic requirement for sound work.

Really would like to use resonic more, but there are more efficient & quicker ways for now.

StevieBoy
Supporter

MrCoffeehouse wrote:I mostly have used bulk renaming in the past for collections of photographs, lol - where I name a series of photos with the name, followed by a numbering scheme of 01 through xx. Having 01 through 09 with the zero in there is important when listing the renamed files alphabetically. The bulk renaming utility was great at offering a multitude of useful ways to (re)name and number files.

In terms of audio files, I could see the renaming / organizing of sample collections, midi file collections, sound effect collections, loop collections..

There were some options included in the bulk rename utility that are not obvious, yet very handy, like the ability to add a space a certain number of letters into a word, or replacing, let's say an underscore, with a blank space.

Check out the program if you don't already know about it:
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Cheers -m
BRU is amazing for quick and dirty renames & to tidy things up with any file

For audio files foobar2000 either file options>rename or the masstagger (for meta) using the tagz language cannot be touched