Bugs, crash reports, issues, product support
JBlais
Getting the hang of it
First Name: Jérémie
Primary DAW: Reaper 6
Resonic: Pro

Metadata and ID3 tag (or RIFF?) handling question

Hi!

I've been trying to categorize my .WAV samples library (the use of foobar2000 combined with Kid3 Tag Editor seem to do a pretty decent job!) and I'm trying to figure out what tags are being automatically detected by Resonic. For now I found out that <BPM> and <INITIAL KEY>, in the ID3v2.3.0 format are being detected as "bpm" and "Key" respectively. I would really like to know what tag would allow to use the "Sample Type" metadata (like Loop, One-Shot, Kit, etc.).

I've searched the Resonic website for information on metadata handling but couldn't find anything precise on that matter.

Can someone help me on this? Also more information on tags handling and a list of all supported tags would be great. Thanks! :victory:

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Metadata and ID3 tag (or RIFF?) handling question

JBlais wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 06:54
For now I found out that <BPM> and <INITIAL KEY>, in the ID3v2.3.0 format are being detected as "bpm" and "Key" respectively.
That's correct. Lots and lots of metadata is detected like that, including the foo tagger component's rating.
I would really like to know what tag would allow to use the "Sample Type" metadata (like Loop, One-Shot, Kit, etc.).
The Resonic Meta Core currently sources this info from:
- ACID loop information (WAV, AIFF)
- Apple loop information (AIFF)
- ReCycle and REX loop information (RCY, REX, RX2, AIFF)
- Sampler information (WAV)
- (Only in pre-releases: our auto tag engine from other metadata)
I've searched the Resonic website for information on metadata handling but couldn't find anything precise on that matter. Can someone help me on this? Also more information on tags handling and a list of all supported tags would be great. Thanks! :victory:
I'm working on a document detailing what metadata is supported for which format.

Just fyi, our meta core is proprietary and written from scratch. We're not reliant on other libraries and have full control over it. It reads and handles a lot more than most applications do, and is also error-correcting (meta spelling mistakes). The meta panel currently only shows a portion of what it actually reads. Metadata analysis/verification results (errors, warnings, etc.), channels, tracks, and a lot more is still missing there. It's really best to load up various random audio files (hint: ALT-click a folder, then put stop after current on and hit ALT-space repeatedly) and see what comes up in the meta panel to get a feel for it.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

JBlais
Getting the hang of it
First Name: Jérémie
Primary DAW: Reaper 6
Resonic: Pro

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your fast and thorough response! I'm really looking forward on reading that document on metadata handling! After I posted my question, I've done some more searching on ID3 and came across the "informal standard" page (http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0), and I'll be pretty much use this for tagging for now.

I know what you mean by Alt-spacing the files, a different list is shown based on what seems to be detected by Resonic. Can't wait to see what v1.0 will be! Keep up the good work :okay:

Is there is a plan on supporting custom tags in the future?

And for those reading and interested, TagScanner is pretty much the best free tagging software I could find (after some more search...again!), nice UI and very powerful, which also includes sample previewing.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re:

JBlais wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 20:18
After I posted my question, I've done some more searching on ID3 and came across the "informal standard" page (http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0), and I'll be pretty much use this for tagging for now.
If you do use the ID3 standard make sure to use 2.4.0: http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames
Is there is a plan on supporting custom tags in the future?
Once tag writing is in, I don't see a reason why not.
And for those reading and interested, TagScanner is pretty much the best free tagging software I could find (after some more search...again!), nice UI and very powerful, which also includes sample previewing.
TagScanner is great, but for end-user content only, i.e. mainly music collection tagging. It focuses on ID3v2/Vorbis/APE/WMA/MP4 tags and does not support any tag formats used for professional content. When not even generic INFO LISTs are embedded in WAV files for basics like title or artist and instead an ID3v2 chunk ends up in a WAV, it bastardizes already bastardized WAV files even further. In the end it really depends on what you need to tag. For regular music content TagScanner is perfectly fine.

However, the main difference is that Resonic has to cover much more in the process (and has thus enormously large shoes to fill). Our approach is also a bit different, we do care very much about file and metadata integrity so every step of embedding and especially altering existing content needs to be thought through fully.

Paul Virostek wrote an overview: https://www.creativefieldrecording.com/ ... mystified/
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.