Cannot drag/drop anything?

Bugs, crash reports, issues, product support
McUB
Getting the hang of it

Cannot drag/drop anything?

Hi there,

Great audio previewer you've created! I'm enjoying it in ordering my sample catalogue right now.

Thing is, I see everywhere drag and drop should be supported, now also from the filelist, but I cannot do that?

I just downloaded a few days ago from here, so should be a version that supports it I asume. What could be my issue? I cannot find settings for it, cannot find shortcuts I should use...

I tried to click and drag the filename in the topleft, the filename in the filelist or even the wave display, but none work. The mouse thinks he has something I think though, because I see it change into a black circle with a diagonal line in it, basically saying I have something but you cannot drop it here.

ow... As I'm writing I had a hunch... now I can, but I have to 'run as administrator'. Just opening normally does not work here...

Great player though! I'm using FL Studio as my DAW, and it's browser has a timelimit on preview, so previewing longer samples is a problem. This solves it, great work!

regards, Frank

mmote

Re: Cannot drag/drop anything?

McUB wrote:ow... As I'm writing I had a hunch... now I can, but I have to 'run as administrator'. Just opening normally does not work here...
That should only be necessary if the application you're trying to drag into has also been launched with administrator privileges - UAC will prevent the drop otherwise.

McUB
Getting the hang of it

Hi Mmote,

That makes sense, but is not the case here. I cannot drag/drop to anything:
- Not to desktop
- Not to an explorer window
- Not to FL Studio (not launched as administrator)
- Not internally in Resonic from folder to folder.

As soon as I grab a file (or the filename top left) I see a black circle with diagonal line, indicating it won't allow me things.

As I said, now I can, but I have changed the shortcut to always launch as administrator and have to click ok to that every time I launch Resonic. No biggi, and I'm really liking Resonic already, but as it's not supposed to behave like this I thought to give a heads up. Willing to provide all the details you want if it can help fix things?

I'm running Windows 64-bit (maybe that's the problem?) on a core i3 machine with 8GB memory and a AMD Radeon HD 5700. Not the best, but good enough for me at home now.

Since I cannot drag anywhere it shouldn't be a DAW problem, but for all intents: I'm using FL Studio 11.1 in 32-bit mode.

regards, Frank

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Is UAC turned off? UAC can block an awful lot of things from operating properly.
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

McUB
Getting the hang of it

Hi BTG,

No it's not, but it doesn't give me issues (that I'm aware of). I'll try this weekend when I have some more time. But I'm not really willing to keep UAC off, seems rather draconian for 'just' Resonic.

Btw: I just rediscovered ProXL SonicExplorer of a sample cd. Pretty much the same deal, only Resonic looks way better. I'll stick with Resonic, but did install the other one to compare. On Sonic Explorer drag and drop are no problem, also without admin rights.

Will let you know how it goes without UAC, thanks for the response!

regards, Frank

mmote

I'm running a very similar setup (x64 Windows, normal user account, UAC enabled). Drag & drop is working fine for me so it must be something else.
Which version of Windows are you running?

McUB
Getting the hang of it

Im running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, SP1

It looks like it's solved now... It is a UAC thing, and I took ownership from 'TrustedInstaller' to my own account. If I launch Resonic directly (clicking the exe, not the shortcut that was setup with run as admin) it launches without administrator notice and I can drag and drop.

Can be there's more UAC trouble on my PC though, I'm going to have a long hard look at it this weekend. But, for now, with Resonic, all works! Hope it stays that way :) Thanks for the replies and help! Looking forward to the 1.0 version.

regards, Frank

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Glad to help. I know from experience that UAC is a massively flawed security implementation that tends to interfere with normal operations of a computer, and rarely if ever prevents a security breach. I recommend a dedicated security program, and disabling UAC to everyone I do troubleshooting for.

McUB
Getting the hang of it

Hi BTG,

By dedicated security program, you mean a good virusscan/firewall combo? And regular checks? Or something to take over UAC's functions? And it is then safe to disable UAC? Because I would like that :)

regards, Frank

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Yeah, a decent AV security suite.

It's perfectly all right to disable UAC, (provided you have the AV suite) as I did that first thing when I got my laptop over 2 years ago, and have never had any issues since. The UAC was designed to prevent unknown items from running in the background and causing damage to your system, but since 90% of the functions of any program run in the background, the total blackout of UAC tends to block normal operations. An AV suite will block the harmful processes, but allow any non-harmful ones to function normally.

AV suites I recommend: Avast! Internet Security, Avast! Premier, Kaspersky Internet Security. That's it. DO NOT USE AVG!!! (they have loads of back-end problems that they REFUSE to fix)

mmote

The UAC was designed to prevent unknown items from running in the background
That's news to me. Maybe you're thinking of Windows Defender (which is now deprecated)?

Personally, I wouldn't disable UAC. It was extremely annoying on Vista, but I've never had any issues on 7.
I'll agree that AVG is awful, though ;)

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

UAC blocks anything that tries to run except for OS components, and currently installed programs. Background installations of malware was what it was originally intended to prevent. Windows Defender was Microsoft's first aborted attempt at an integrated anti-virus solution.

mmote

Sorry, I've got no idea what you're talking about. UAC doesn't block third-party software.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

It blocks them from running, or at least it does on every system I've ever seen.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Advanced users usually have UAC either tuned down, or turned off. UAC does not block third-party software.

In any case it is important to protect the system, especially with UAC turned off. I used to use Avast, but at some point it turned into a bloated system brake, like most anti-virus related apps do, sooner or later. I'd recommend Microsoft's free Security Essentials and I really don't see a need for anything else for regular use. AVG indeed is hell.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

It doesn't block them completely, no but most programs use some aspect that requires some form of administrative access, and that is the part that is blocked. (and about half the time UAC doesn't notify you that it blocked it)