Drag and Drop issue

Bugs, crash reports, issues, product support
Blackout
Beta Tester

Drag and Drop issue

hi, I am using Alpha 999.

I can drag & drop from the Resonic list to my DAW (Cubase). all good. tasty loop is copied to my DAW session.

but if I drag & Drop from the Resonic list to Windows Explorer, it seems to delete the file from the resonic list? well....it doesn't actually delete the file from the screen list, but it does from my actual hard drive! and the Resonic list becomes corrupt because the file is "lost" but it is still listed. So it no longer plays when you click on the name in the Resonic list....silence. And then when you hit "refresh" in Resonic, the tasty loop is indeed gone from the Resonic list.

why does Resonic "copy" when dragging to a DAW but "move" when dragging to Windows Explorer? shouldn't this be consistent across both functions? shouldn't this be an option setting to choose how Resonic behaves? this is very confusing for users. and I have messed up some sample cd packs now because I didn't realize I was actually REMOVING the samples from their folder locations instead of dragging! it is not clear that the behavior is different for the different situation...

cheers!
Blackout

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Drag and Drop issue

Except the fact, that Resonic does not reflect the new state yet, this is standard Windows Explorer behavior:

- When you drag and drop a file to another folder on the same drive, it is moved.
- When you drag and drop it to another folder on a different drive, it is copied.

This could only be solved with a custom option to change behavior.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Blackout
Beta Tester

hi Tom, but the session for my DAW is on the same drive. and Resonic doesn't "move" the file to my DAW session, it copies it. just makes no sense and is confusing.

I think an option to choose / change this behavior is certainly required. Resonic needs to be consistent...am I "copying" when I drag & drop or am I "moving". And if you are saying that its normal for Resonic to delete a file when dragging & dropping to windows explorer then you should certainly add some code to Resonic for it to refresh the list automatically every time a Drag & Drop happens in Resonic. so at least we know what we are dealing with in the list in front of us, not a corrupted and inaccurate list...just like Windows Explorer would automatically update / refresh if we were dragging & dropping from that...

Cheers!
Blackout

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Blackout wrote:hi Tom, but the session for my DAW is on the same drive. and Resonic doesn't "move" the file to my DAW session, it copies it. just makes no sense and is confusing.
Yeah well, your DAW is not an Explorer Window. There is neither copying nor moving going on there. It fully depends on how the target application handles the dragged file. Some applications might not do anything at all, just use the path of that file.
I think an option to choose / change this behavior is certainly required.
Agreed.
Resonic needs to be consistent...am I "copying" when I drag & drop or am I "moving". And if you are saying that its normal for Resonic to delete a file when dragging & dropping to windows explorer
Nope, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the Windows Explorer is moving files when you're dragging and dropping on the same drive. If you drag a file on C: from Resonic to a folder on D: Explorer will copy that file.
Then you should certainly add some code to Resonic for it to refresh the list automatically every time a Drag & Drop happens in Resonic.
The files need to be monitored so when a file system change happens (like the file disappears) this has of course to be reflected in Resonic, which is part reason for the huge playlist rework that's currently going on.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Blackout
Beta Tester

thanks Tom. I think the biggest confusion is because it looks like I am copying a file when dragging and dropping to Windows explorer, because the file appears to be still in the Resonic list. so I go about my work dragging and dropping from Resonic to a folder in Windows Explorer, and the files are not disappearing from the Resonic list so I was under the false assumption that it was copying them.

And then I did a "refresh" in Resonic and to my SHOCK/HORROR there were heaps of files that were suddenly gone. I had made a right royal mess of my sample cd packs.

Glad you understand the problem and are working on it. All the best!

Blackout