Problems with network shares [Solved]

Bugs, crash reports, issues, product support
pumafred
Really likes it here

Problems with network shares [Solved]

I keep liking your program, but I also keep having my stupid limitation of not being able to access my music collection. I do not want to bother you with this, since I seem to be the only one with the problem, but if at some point you have a bit of time left over, I would appreciate your helping me figure this out.

I do not want to delay your release, but I will send you some screenshots soon.

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Build 5627 (RC2)

pumafred wrote:I keep liking your program, but I also keep having my stupid limitation of not being able to access my music collection. I do not want to bother you with this, since I seem to be the only one with the problem, but if at some point you have a bit of time left over, I would appreciate your helping me figure this out.
If this is about the network access issue, a solution would be mapping your network path to a local drive in Explorer which you can then access anywhere like a regular drive.

http://www.wikihow.com/Map-a-Network-Drive
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

pumafred
Really likes it here

Tom wrote:
pumafred wrote:I keep liking your program, but I also keep having my stupid limitation of not being able to access my music collection. I do not want to bother you with this, since I seem to be the only one with the problem, but if at some point you have a bit of time left over, I would appreciate your helping me figure this out.
If this is about the network access issue, a solution would be mapping your network path to a local drive in Explorer which you can then access anywhere like a regular drive.

http://www.wikihow.com/Map-a-Network-Drive
Thanks, I´ll look into it. Meanwhile, here go some screenshots:
- I have Resonic on Studio pc, and I am trying to access folders in FT-Media pc
- One screen shot show how I can see everything I want through Explorer - Network (Homegroup also works). I can then play the flac files with VLC, for example.
- Two screen shots show that with Resonic I only get down to the last folder level, but no flacs are visible. (I try Album Artist and Folder views, for Music)

Any suggestion? Thanks!!!
Attachments
Network.PNG
Album Artists.PNG
Music Folders.PNG

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Are you running an administrator account on both systems? I've had similar trouble in other programs before due to permission restrictions, and due to anti-virus programs blocking certain programs from accessing certain files over networks... So check your anti-virus programs too.
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Also check and see if you somehow are running Resonic in a sandbox, that might cause it too.

mmote

pumafred wrote:- Two screen shots show that with Resonic I only get down to the last folder level, but no flacs are visible. (I try Album Artist and Folder views, for Music)
How do you even get them to shop up in Resonic's browser like that?

pumafred
Really likes it here

mmote wrote:
pumafred wrote:- Two screen shots show that with Resonic I only get down to the last folder level, but no flacs are visible. (I try Album Artist and Folder views, for Music)
How do you even get them to shop up in Resonic's browser like that?
I look at my Resonic Browser, and simply start clicking folder levels in my networked pc ft-mediapc. See attachment, please.
Attachments
Capture131014.PNG
Capture131014.PNG (11.19 KiB) Viewed 13195 times

pumafred
Really likes it here

BTGbullseye wrote:Also check and see if you somehow are running Resonic in a sandbox, that might cause it too.
This is a bit beyond me. I simply extract the Resonic beta file to a folder in my "Public" directory, create a desktop shortcut from the Resonic.exe file, and launch from there. Would this be a problem?

Thanks for your attention to my problem!

mmote

pumafred wrote:I look at my Resonic Browser, and simply start clicking folder levels in my networked pc ft-mediapc. See attachment, please.
I'm asking because network shares (or even network devices as in your case) don't show up in the browser unless I explicitly map them. Is this a homegroup feature or are you using any third party software to access other PCs in your network?

pumafred
Really likes it here

mmote wrote:
pumafred wrote:I look at my Resonic Browser, and simply start clicking folder levels in my networked pc ft-mediapc. See attachment, please.
I'm asking because network shares (or even network devices as in your case) don't show up in the browser unless I explicitly map them. Is this a homegroup feature or are you using any third party software to access other PCs in your network?
No third party feature. Just followed instructions (rather blindly, since this is not a field of expertise of mine) when setting up Windows 8 Pro in my pcs, setting up network, Homegroup etc.

I am afraid I cannot be of much more help because, as I said, I merely followed instructions, not knowing what I was doing.

I guess this ignorance of mine is why I cannot get to see my FLAC collection from my network on Resonic...

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

we'll figure this out sooner or later.

meanwhile just map your FLAC network share to a local drive letter in windows explorer, see the link i posted. this will _definitely_ work for now.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

pumafred wrote:
BTGbullseye wrote:Also check and see if you somehow are running Resonic in a sandbox, that might cause it too.
This is a bit beyond me. I simply extract the Resonic beta file to a folder in my "Public" directory, create a desktop shortcut from the Resonic.exe file, and launch from there. Would this be a problem?

Thanks for your attention to my problem!
If your anti-virus program auto-sandboxes programs in your public folder, it could easily be the problem.

mmote

The problem seems to be that his network devices are listed under the drives node in Resonic (maybe due to some 3rd party software?), just like some external devices would, which is not yet supported.
The best solution is to map the network shares to drive letters, like Tom said.

pumafred
Really likes it here

mmote wrote:The problem seems to be that his network devices are listed under the drives node in Resonic (maybe due to some 3rd party software?), just like some external devices would, which is not yet supported.
The best solution is to map the network shares to drive letters, like Tom said.
Ahhh, you are making me think that I have two devices in my network that could be doing something here:
- Western Digital TV, which I believe installs Twonky server.
- Logitech Squeezebox, which uses Logitech Media Server.

All this is way beyond my knowledge. I was unable to get the mapping thing to work, but I will keep on trying. Thank you very much for your attention and patience, people!!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

pumafred wrote:All this is way beyond my knowledge. I was unable to get the mapping thing to work
please re-try, just map a drive in explorer (i posted a link to a tutorial) to a network share. see attachment.

for example map: \\FT-MEDIAPC\Music
to X:

then you should be able to see that share as drive X:
Attachments
snap06648.png

pumafred
Really likes it here

Tom wrote:
pumafred wrote:All this is way beyond my knowledge. I was unable to get the mapping thing to work
please re-try, just map a drive in explorer (i posted a link to a tutorial) to a network share. see attachment.

for example map: \\FT-MEDIAPC\Music
to X:

then you should be able to see that share as drive X:
Sorry for being so mentally slow with this.
Just to clarify:
- My music is in a pc in a different room, FT-MediaPC.
- I usually access it from my desktop computer, Studio-PC, using Windows 8 Remote Desktop Connection.
- I went into FT-MediaPC and mapped one of my two music folders (Music 2) to a network share.
- On FT-MediaPC I can see this drive (see Capture1 below).
- However, I cannot see it on my other PCs (see Capture2 and Capture3).

Where should I look for it (I´ve looked practically everywhere)?

Thanks again!
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

mmote

The mapped drive is only visible on the PC you mapped it on. You need to repeat this procedure on all PCs, unfortunately.

pumafred
Really likes it here

mmote wrote:The mapped drive is only visible on the PC you mapped it on. You need to repeat this procedure on all PCs, unfortunately.
Ahaaaaa!!! That did it!! Finally!
Thanks very much all of you!