Praise, and some feature suggestions (Part 2)

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
recojohnson
My fingers hurt

Praise, and some feature suggestions (Part 2)

Since this thread is titled towards general praise and feature suggestions I thought I would add it here instead of making moar.

I discovered Resonic today and I really like the interface and how its simply laid out.
Everything load really fast and the feature I love most is that there is no "album view" "genre view" crap. If you want to sort by album or genre go for it, but I hate music players that just ASSUME you buy entire albums. Lets face it, how many music artists these days make more than 2 or 3 good songs an album. I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but the music I listen to there sure isn't.

I also really like that the default main field is File Name and not "Title".
Because there is currently no search feature in Resonic, the main way we can find a particular song is from internet explorer doing a search and the filename doesn't match up with the title most of the time so its good that it uses the filename.
I also really like that you only show "artist".
We don't need to see "contributing artist" or... any of that other junk. Its perfect the way you have it. There are so many meta tags in MP3s in particular that are so useless and don't really help with anything. Especially if you download your music from different places.

Other than that, there are only two requests I have:
1. Give the option to single click or double click a song to play it.
2. Autorefresh file listing when a favourite is selected instead of prompt
(I assume the reason you don't auto-refresh is so the user doesn't lose their position in the file tree when they add a favorite.)

Notes:
I assume you are going to add global media hotkeys and a search bar.

Bugs:
I am using Windows 8 64x
Currently when I toggle show/hide footer, the menu item is not highlighted when enabled.

I don't know if I am crazy, or if Resonic produces a better bass with my sound system than foobar and other music apps. It sure seems like it.

I really appreciate your hard work and I think an amazing program is coming together. One thing I am curious about is if you feel Resonic will always be free.
I am a Computer Science student from Canada studying Internet Systems and Programming so your development fascinates me! :P

-Reco
Attachments
2013-03-28_183336.jpg
Footer is never highlighted blue
2013-03-28_183336.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Some feature suggestions

Hey Reco and welcome to the humble forums :)

I've moved your post into a separate thread. The whole forum is dedicated to suggestions, the other one to bug reports.

First off, glad you like my project!
Everything load really fast and the feature I love most is that there is no "album view" "genre view" crap. If you want to sort by album or genre go for it, but I hate music players that just ASSUME you buy entire albums.
True, unfortunately. Nowadays artists generally seem to prefer to release singles, not albums.

I will, however, come up with a library feature sooner or later, but always completely optional. I really don't like apps forcing me to set up library folders, scan this, and scan that, and rescan this, and rescan that. It's annoying and often not needed.
Lets face it, how many music artists these days make more than 2 or 3 good songs an album. I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but the music I listen to there sure isn't.
Very true. I'm actually into many kinds of music, but when it comes to production I'm more on the electronic side.
Because there is currently no search feature in Resonic, the main way we can find a particular song is from internet explorer doing a search and the filename doesn't match up with the title most of the time so its good that it uses the filename.
There'll be an extensive search feature though. You said you're into coding, so just have a look at the database files and you'll see that a library is already being built, it's just not being used in public releases yet.
I also really like that you only show "artist".
We don't need to see "contributing artist" or... any of that other junk. Its perfect the way you have it. There are so many meta tags in MP3s in particular that are so useless and don't really help with anything.
True. Besides, the ID3v2 standard's been a mess since day 1. Also, trying to force new tags upon users has never really worked. Funny enough back when the ID3v2 specs were released all that would have been really sufficient for years to come is an UTF-8 ID3v1 with longer string fields plus some extra ones ;)
1. Give the option to single click or double click a song to play it.
In the works.
2. Autorefresh file listing when a favourite is selected instead of prompt
(I assume the reason you don't auto-refresh is so the user doesn't lose their position in the file tree when they add a favorite.)
You are absolutely right. The main reason for the prompt is getting alpha releases out the door instead of holding back trying to work out not-so-pressing issues. I'm revisiting the browser all the time, so eventually this'll all get properly reworked and threaded, like the rest of the app.
I assume you are going to add global media hotkeys and a search bar.
Of course. Hotkey code is done, just need to implement the configuration dialog... that little bastard (see http://resonic.at/labs/4)
I am using Windows 8 64x
Currently when I toggle show/hide footer, the menu item is not highlighted when enabled.
Thanks. Fixed!

It's easy to overlook the checked state of these menu items on my dev system, which runs on Windows 7 x64. On Windows 8 they have better contrasts.
I don't know if I am crazy, or if Resonic produces a better bass with my sound system than foobar and other music apps. It sure seems like it.
That's possible, as I intentionally have nothing in the signal chain that might affect sound quality in any way. Whenever I'll be adding features that might affect sound quality they'll always be 100% optional, and disabled by default.
I really appreciate your hard work and I think an amazing program is coming together.
Appreciation gladly received :)
One thing I am curious about is if you feel Resonic will always be free.
Resonic Player, which is the version aimed towards music listeners, will always be free.

However, donations of any amount are always welcome (see http://resonic.at/contact) as this whole project, the web server, and all the time that goes into it (a lot!) is self-financed with no external support.

There'll be a Pro version coming up which is aimed towards audio professionals in the audio/music/video/games industry.
I am a Computer Science student from Canada studying Internet Systems and Programming so your development fascinates me! :P
You wouldn't imagine how often I want to pick up random things around me and smash them against the wall, during development ;)

Tom
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.