Equalizer

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Equalizer

Is there any way to integrate a high-detail, customizable equalizer without adding too much bloat? (I'm a poor audiophile, and like to tune my system to my speakers since I can't afford better speakers)

Say like having one that will have anywhere between 2 and 100 frequency sliders, +-6db to +-24db or +-200% to +-800% adjustment ranges, and the customizability to let you set what frequencies and ranges to assign to the sliders... You'd be the first player I've ever heard of to do it, if you could.
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Equalizer

That sounds like an interesting feature.

I've put that on the idea list, but please understand that this is really on low priority. I'm working on core features day and night right now.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

I understand... I was expecting it to be somewhere near the bottom of the list anyways. :)

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Just something to look at concerning what I'd like to see (or something close) for this, AC3Filter. http://www.ac3filter.net/

The equalizer is quite good, and goes up to +-12db on each channel of it's 10 customizable bands, (you chose the frequencies each band covers) and allows each channel to have separate equalizer settings.

LopDog
Likes it here

A hi pass / lo pass filter can be useful, but, a full eq can be useless, in my opinion.
Because, it will take a lot of time of works for finally sound like a "basic" eq. And finally take your favorite eq...

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

It is useful to those of us that can't afford professional equipment, and want to tune the player to the speakers we have...

LopDog
Likes it here

Come on! lol in 2014 , it is so easy to be near of access to (pro?) audio's equipement. I mean, if you need an eq : here a list (for transparent eq : voxengo (there are 2 or 3 eq); melda mequalizer . Or if you want of colorful eq go to see about "variety of sound" (there are 2 or 3 eq too)... there is an others eq but i don't know if i can put a list on this forum.

These eq that i just quoted you are FREE and doesn't sound bad !!! so you can afford it.
otherwise, there is some stuff so cheap, like 20-30€ ....

Also, in the idea list, there is a suggestion about hosting vst. If the player host the vst, you can use any eq to your needs.

So, in my opinion, work about hosting vst is more interessing that programing. Again i don't "criticize". I just let my opinion. :)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

The free VOS EQs (e.g. SlickEQ) hold steady amongst the best.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Andreasvb

ViPER4Windows is the best audio driver I've used: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=59 [ ViPER4Windows | ViPER's Audio ]

There's not much info about it, but I've made a little demo of it, here: http://www.twitch.tv/andreazvb/b/522403415
I even rooted my mobile to use ViPER4Android. :geek:
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

LopDog
Likes it here

Tom wrote:The free VOS EQs (e.g. SlickEQ) hold steady amongst the best.
yeah awesome, with this feature about the constant gain. I love the feedback compressor too , but it's an off topic :oops:

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:The free VOS EQs (e.g. SlickEQ) hold steady amongst the best.
Only 3 EQ bands... I actively use 10 in ones that allow it. (and would prefer 30-50)
Andreasvb wrote:ViPER4Windows is the best audio driver I've used: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=59 [ ViPER4Windows | ViPER's Audio ]
Decent looking APO... I'll give it a try. Thanks.
LopDog wrote:Come on! lol in 2014 , it is so easy to be near of access to (pro?) audio's equipement. I mean, if you need an eq : here a list (for transparent eq : voxengo (there are 2 or 3 eq); melda mequalizer . Or if you want of colorful eq go to see about "variety of sound" (there are 2 or 3 eq too)... there is an others eq but i don't know if i can put a list on this forum.

These eq that i just quoted you are FREE and doesn't sound bad !!! so you can afford it.
otherwise, there is some stuff so cheap, like 20-30€ ....
Voxengo isn't free, MEqualizer is only 6-band, and the VoS offerings isn't even close to what I'm looking for. Also, I am currently unemployed, so I can't afford ANYTHING.
LopDog wrote:Also, in the idea list, there is a suggestion about hosting vst. If the player host the vst, you can use any eq to your needs.

So, in my opinion, work about hosting vst is more interessing that programing.
VST would be nice, but I haven't found many decent equalizer-type plugins for free, and none that have the number of bands I want. (30-50 fully customizable per channel)

[EDIT] The Viper4Windows equalizer only goes down to 65Hz... It's good for the mid and high bands, but most of my tweaking has to do with the very low end. (20-50Hz, and creating the ideal slope down from their levels) It did a decent job for the <65Hz range though, since it did apply the 11db amp to the 40Hz range too. (though I prefer to have 40Hz at +10, 30 at +12, and 20 at +10)

LopDog
Likes it here

the Voxengo Marvel GEQ are free and work with 16 band and in linear phase which can be useful in few ways.

you search an eq with unmovable frequency's slider ? if yes, there is not very much interest, because you can do the same with graphic eq, like Mequalizer and "only six band" but parametric Q factor. Like your desired slope. I can help you if you want i use, melda's plugins, not a lot but notwithstanding

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Both the HarmoniEQ and CurveEQ are listed as demos, and pause the audio for a short period every 45 seconds... The GEQ equalizer wasn't even visible from their main site.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

You guys seem to mix up consumer use with professional use here.

BTG, not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but 30-50 parametric bands via plugin sounds more like hacky room correction to me.

What's most important is consistent sound across all applications. If you're using DAWs for music production as well you might want to save up on an IK Arc 2 system or similar. Comes with VST plugin, which can be used universally.

If what you're after is exclusively using Resonic for music listening, having some basic room correction applied, it might make some sense thought. That I can fully understand.

LopDog
Likes it here

no, i don't mix up consumer use & pro use ;)

i just try to help BTG about what he want to accomplish, which seems be a specific thing.

@BTG here http://www.voxengo.com/files/VoxengoMar ... _setup.zip

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:You guys seem to mix up consumer use with professional use here.

BTG, not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but 30-50 parametric bands via plugin sounds more like hacky room correction to me.

If what you're after is exclusively using Resonic for music listening, having some basic room correction applied, it might make some sense thought. That I can fully understand.
Just somewhat crappy speakers, and some crappy headphones... Room correction only when I'm not at home... Resonic for music listening only, yes. (for now)
LopDog wrote:i just try to help BTG about what he want to accomplish, which seems be a specific thing.

@BTG here http://www.voxengo.com/files/VoxengoMar ... _setup.zip
Thanks... Unfortunately I don't have an audio program that runs VST plugins...

I think I've gotten the Viper4Windows settings close enough for my usage for now...

LopDog
Likes it here

I know to players which can do it meantime resonic player was ready for it.
pm me if you want to know it. because i don't want to make bad advertising here. it's not my goal :)

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Eh, I've got decent enough with Viper until I find one of those I like. Thanks though. :)