Mini Waveform as Icon or on each file line

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
mrefu
Yay, I posted something
First Name: Alex
Resonic: Player

Mini Waveform as Icon or on each file line

With my suggestion I think I could help to improve the working process and to gain time for searching a specific audio file. I was looking for an audio browser that lists my audio folders and within the folders the audio files, but each file with the respective waveform. This could be in the File List as a "Waveform Icon" as the software "tsugi QuickAudio" does or as a choice in the context menu for the File List.

I am browsing and selecting the music for my private videos with the help of the wave form first before I listen selected files to finaly choose.

I'm new here. I am happy to have found the Resonic Player by chance on the internet. It is extremely usefull for my needs and I would like to congratulate the developer team for this very professional work. :thumbsup:

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Hey Alex, happy you found us :waving: :)

We've implemented a working version of the miniature waveforms a while ago but weren't really happy with the way there were handled internally, they were slowing down the meta scan considerably. There's a better solution on the horizon though.
Have a look here: https://resonic.at/labs#180117
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

jurijsk
I'll think of more soon
First Name: Jurijs

Re: Mini Waveform as Icon or on each file line

Mini waveform in file/sample list would be invaluable for my workflow. Tom can you share more details and timeline, and if you plan it for Player or Pro?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

jurijsk wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 10:54
Mini waveform in file/sample list would be invaluable for my workflow. Tom can you share more details and timeline, and if you plan it for Player or Pro?
Hey there, and of course!

Even though unique Player downloads have consistently been going up and use has skyrocketed we've hardly seen any donations towards the freeware project in the recent years and - which is worse - people seem to increasingly use it in business settings and for profit use even though they could help out a lot by simply grabbing a Pro, or donating a fraction of its price.

No big feature updates are planned for it at the moment after 0.9.4. It's silly enough to keep afloat these days as is but we've been clear about needing the community's help to keep it free, and it being free for personal and non-commercial use only for obvious reasons. The Player will simply remain that: a lightweight player.

All big new features exclusively go into Resonic Pro from now on, which of course includes the mini waveforms.

Currently we're figuring out how to integrate the miniatures without slowing down the rest of the program and the metadata scans. They'll primarily be available for WAV/AIFF files at first for performance reasons, maybe they'll become available for other formats later as well. There'll be a setting to only generate previews up to files of a certain duration, and you'll be able to directly seek into any waveform from the list.

As for the timeline, I'm responsible for the metadata and am currently blocked with work on embedding/writing tags, but seeing how a large chunk of the code for mini waves is complete all this needs is a week of a push :)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

jurijsk
I'll think of more soon
First Name: Jurijs

Hey Tom, thank you for your in depth and sincere reply. I do understand your decision. I'm just starting with what I do and if I find myself using Resonic I will definitely pay. I have discovered Player searching for sample organizer which monitors that changes in files, and the Player is one the kind in that regrd.

Have you considered redesigning donate button in the Player. Now it is super non-obtrusive and never reminds about itself. Consider moving bye pro and donate to the surface of the app. Visibility is always better then discoverability as some say in UX design cycles. Plus, implementing "Pay what you want" model on the checkout might help. I think some users just need a little nudge.

Sorry if I am not minding my own business to much :)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

jurijsk wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 09:58
I have discovered Player searching for sample organizer which monitors that changes in files, and the Player is one the kind in that regrd.
You're invited to try the Pro. I'm handing out three month trials so you have a lot of time to figure out whether it works for you.
Have you considered redesigning donate button in the Player. Now it is super non-obtrusive and never reminds about itself.
I'm not trying to nag too much, so I stuck with showing a reminder once per Player update. I'll change that to once per install.

Then there are always people who like to destroy things. On one site in particular someone latched on to wanting to drag the project through the mud, "it now nags users" was the best reason, then started unleashing hell on every update I posted, so I stopped. It makes you question why you're even handing out free versions when some spiteful basement dwellers come at you like that. I don't need it, and it's those people who eventually make free versions come to an end.
Consider moving bye pro and donate to the surface of the app.
I actually might in the next update, which will again be the last Player update in a while, because of what I mentioned above.
Sorry if I am not minding my own business to much :)
Any feedback is welcome here!