I know this is a longshot...

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
caseya21
Starting to like this

I know this is a longshot...

But I am inclined to ask mainly out of personal curiosity.

I have used and loved a very lightweight and very minimal music player called Billy for many years now.
sheepfriends.com/?page=billy

You can see performance ratings and screenshots on there, you can also see that it has not been updated for 5 years. It does still work fine, and still serves a great purpose for me but I feel like it is starting to become outdated, mainly because the bass codec used is very old. The performance is ok, but the newest bass codec performs much better. I tried updating the bass.dll but it throws some errors on me and will not start. The developer hasn't responded to me etc. I am afraid some day I will not be able to use billy anymore.

This little player has been an essential part of my working and listening life for many ears now, for quick previews and queuing up numerous files for work it is amazing. I do not believe in jukebox type media players, I keep my files tagged and sorted properly within windows. I do not need a bloated mess like itunes or whatever to manage my music.

While the current form of resonic is pretty lightweight and not too bloated up. It is far from the levels of billy when it comes to load times and fast previewing and cpu usage. Don't get me wrong I love the current form of resonic and value it as an option that I believe is not currently represented out there amongst music playback software.

I guess what I am getting at is there or has there ever been a thought by the resonic team to come out with a lightweight very minimalistic version, like billy or something like that. No waveform, just literally a browser or the ability to drag and drop files you need into a very minimalistic window and have good audio performance and very low cpu usage ?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: I know this is a longshot...

caseya21 wrote:I have used and loved a very lightweight and very minimal music player called Billy for many years now.
Yep, I've tested this one quite a bit, of course, and imho it's one of the very few good lightweight players.
While the current form of resonic is pretty lightweight and not too bloated up. It is far from the levels of billy when it comes to load times and fast previewing and cpu usage.
In fact I'm absolutely positive you won't find anything much faster for previewing these days.

The performance tests on the site you posted make no sense as you can't compare apples and aeroplanes. As the site also states Billy neither loads tags nor calculates track duration, it merely lists the filenames (or paths), which really is a matter of a few milliseconds with several thousand files on most systems. Winamp reads all kinds of tags and also calculates track durations, which makes the process very, very slow. Same goes for memory usage: no skins, just a few windows, and not even a fraction of the features... can't compare these.
I guess what I am getting at is there or has there ever been a thought by the resonic team to come out with a lightweight very minimalistic version, like billy or something like that. No waveform, just literally a browser or the ability to drag and drop files you need into a very minimalistic window
What's planned is the possibility to completely disable the waveform in favor of a small progress bar. That'd bring you very close to a minimalistic version already: http://resonic.at/labs/9

For the Pro version something called 'High-speed browsing mode' (aka the 'bullet mode') is planned which basically internally applies a ton of tweaks, aside from the fact that tags are not scanned. This is by far the fastest way to preview files.
Good audio performance and very low cpu usage?
On my development system the latest Resonic 755 with default settings uses between 1 and max. 3% CPU. With the option to deactivate the waveform completely it'll be around 1%.

Besides that, I won't ever bloat Resonic, but I won't make it another Billy either. The basic idea behind Resonic is a different one. Hope you'll still be using it, though :)

Cheers
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

caseya21
Starting to like this

Oh I will be using Resonic, and will be paying attention to the progress.
I am excited and intrigued by some of those labs, and look forward to some of their implementations in the future !

It is cool you know about billy, not many people do. I agree though that billy and resonic need to be different things, but I like that resonic is light and quick as well and in future versions will be able to cater to what the individual needs performance wise !

Thanks for getting back to me.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

:)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.