First, there are many things I like about Resonic, but I specifically want to mention its speed, how fast I can audition my files. The app starts fast, files play instantly when cycling through them and the app is very responsive and snappy. Regardless of what changes come in the future, this should really not have to suffer. I can suspect the database functionality in the future can slow down initial app loading time a bit, that's perfectly OK. Database functionality is essential for a good sample / fx manager, and I'll gladly trade in some app startup speed for a good and thorough database, but the playing of files and overall responsiveness should stay as fast as now.
Other than that here are some suggestions for features that I'd love to see implemented, and which I think I haven't seen mentioned in the roadmap:
- rex/rx2 file support
- add "open in external application" option in right-click menu, e.g. a favorite audio editor. Nice would also be a keyboard shortcut.
- The crossfeed setting should stay activated when closing and re-opening Resonic
- make the setting of loop points easier. Nice would be through using keyboard modifiers; e.g. CTRL + Left-Click to set start point, ALT + Left-Click to set end point (this is what many DAWs use)
- To copy a loop section to a new file or into other applications you currently employ that small square at the bottom right of the loop. While I love the functionality, the square is a bit small for my taste; I'd like it to be bigger. Or what would maybe also be nice is a context aware cursor like in Studio One: When you click & drag in the lower half (or lower third) of the waveform display it triggers loop section copy like the square does, when clicking on the upper half (or upper two thirds) it's normal locator positioning behavior. This context aware cursor would allow very fast copying of loop sections, because the triggering area would be fairly large. A changing mouse cursor would indicate what would be triggered by clicking, copying the loop or locator positioning. Ideally this would be customizable as an ON/OFF setting, to switch between smaller square and context aware cursor.
- Allow color customization of waveform display. For example, I find the center line to be almost invisible and such like it to be a bit brighter.
- Currently, when moving the mouse cursor inside the waveform display, an OSD shows the current position in time. What would also be nice is to see the dB value(s) at that position as well. Ideally this would be customizable as an ON/OFF setting.
- Currently when pausing a track you employ short delay, probably for fade out to avoid clicks. Please add an option to turn the delay off, or make the delay amount user definable via e.g. a slider.
- I saw no option to disable automatic playing on file selection. There are times when I want to just select a file without playing it, a simple example would be to move a file into my DAW. Here it can be quite annoying to always have the file playing back. Please add an option to disable auto-playing on file selection.