- CD audio playback
- CD audio grabbing
- Format conversion
- Automatic and manual file tagging like http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
- Sample CD support like http://www.cdxtract.com/
- File splitting without recoding
- ASIO support for low latency
- VST plug-in support

I think resonic is going to be the best audio player software of all time. ;)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: General format support and feature request

mineral wrote:- Playlist support for general music listening
- CD audio playback
We've already managed to create a basic version that plays .cda files, without CDDB/FreeDB support though. There is currently no way to display a waveform while playing, which is why we didn't include this feature yet.

Actual CD/DVD drives have very poor random access times when reading different parts of the disc, resulting in stutter. The only solution would be either scanning the waveform first, then start playback, or disable the waveform all together.
- CD audio grabbing
This is most likely not going to happen for a good while, if ever. There are highly specialized tools out there that have become go-to solutions, and Resonic's specialization will definitely not be CD ripping.

Not saying no to integrating external tools into Resonic though... that's a big thing on the todo list.
Format conversion
This is going to happen, especially for common formats and we'll kick this off by using the aforementioned external tool integration.
Automatic and manual file tagging like http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Yes, meta writing/tagging is on the todo list.
Sample CD support like http://www.cdxtract.com/
I can clearly say no to this one as the majority of sample CDs/DVDs (and sample libraries) these days are file based. Realisticly old sample CDs (e.g. AKAI, EMU) need to be converted to wav/aiff anyways to be used properly, except when actual hardware samplers are involved.
File splitting without recoding
Yes, gonna happen.
ASIO support for low latency
Big yes.
VST plug-in support
Eventually, yes. Probably with only one slot to start off with so people can plug in their favorite analyzers or speaker management systems.
I think resonic is going to be the best audio player software of all time. ;)
:D
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

nice !

mineral
My fingers hurt
First Name: Mineral
Primary DAW: Ableton, Bitwig, Reaper

Hi Tom,
thanks for taking the time to answer. Very appreciated!

For CD audio waveform display.
Would it be possible to create the display on the fly and cache it locally?
I mean, that the audio data which was read from the disc not only goes to the DAC but also generates the waveform to be displayed, like the position marker draws it.

It is a pity that you are not going providing CD conversion options but I am looking forward to integrated external tools.
Any favorites in sight?

One point I forgot before. Stream playing for radio stations. The player could buffer the stream to display an ever scrolling waveform with a reasonable time frame.

Best regards,
Mineral

Mickey
I'll think of more soon
First Name: Michele
Primary DAW: Cubase Pri 8.5

I do not want to row against your ideas about radio and CD, but I think that implementing these features could make Resonic less rapid and performing than as it is now. At bottom Resonic is a player for music composers.
There are already many excellent software to listen to online radio, CD player and ripper.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mineral wrote:For CD audio waveform display.
Would it be possible to create the display on the fly and cache it locally?
I mean, that the audio data which was read from the disc not only goes to the DAC but also generates the waveform to be displayed, like the position marker draws it.
Like I said, when reading an actual CD/DVD drive it would be either play or create waveform, but not both at the same time.
It is a pity that you are not going providing CD conversion options but I am looking forward to integrated external tools.
Any favorites in sight?
There's many possibilities, if the system works the way I want it to then we could be very specific about which tool to use for what, not just a lifeless integration of them. Two favorites are ffmpeg and SoX.
One point I forgot before. Stream playing for radio stations. The player could buffer the stream to display an ever scrolling waveform with a reasonable time frame.
Yeah, got something like that in mind :)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Mickey wrote:I do not want to row against your ideas about radio and CD, but I think that implementing these features could make Resonic less rapid and performing than as it is now. At bottom Resonic is a player for music composers.
There are already many excellent software to listen to online radio, CD player and ripper.
Resonic is actually built in a way that all these features can be added without slowing down the actual program even a little bit.

Question is more, does it makes sense. Like you said, the aim of the Pro version is professional users, composers, engineers, musicians, so this is also where the focus will be remaining at.

But, basic CD support is mostly done. So that'll eventually be a part of it.

When it comes to online streams, that will also happen. I am particularly keen of online broadcasts (think Soma FM, etc.), so sooner or later this will also find its way into the program, but is definitely not a priority.

Every hour of work now goes into the Pro version, and advanced database, search, sample management, creative features!

:)

cjrobe
Yay, I posted something
First Name: Cory

Signed up for the forum to request CDDB lookup and waveforms for CDs! Love Resonic so far and can't wait until these are added.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

cjrobe wrote:Signed up for the forum to request CDDB lookup and waveforms for CDs! Love Resonic so far and can't wait until these are added.
Noted :)

BensonTee7
Yay, I posted something
First Name: Benson
Resonic: Pro + Player

From Resonic player, I opened the DSD64 file, and it show in Resonic player is DSD64, 2.8MHz, but to my DAC device, it shows PCM, 44.1kHz?
Can I know how to do the setting?
Thank you.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re:

BensonTee7 wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 12:08
From Resonic player, I opened the DSD64 file, and it show in Resonic player is DSD64, 2.8MHz, but to my DAC device, it shows PCM, 44.1kHz?
Can I know how to do the setting?
Thank you.
Resonic currently plays DSD as 88.2/96kHz at 32-bit float.