drag and drop of file - and getting punished for doing it

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
Blackout
Beta Tester

drag and drop of file - and getting punished for doing it

hi Tom,

when I am listening to a file (eg mp3) and I say "ooooh...I like that one, lets drag and drop it into a "nice tracks" folder, if I click on the file that's playing (and already highlighted) to drag it off the Resonic screen into Windows Explorer, then the second that I click on the already highlighted file the music dies/stops playing? and the song starts from the very start again. This is quite annoying/frustrating because I was quite enjoying the song but just because I wanted to save the mp3 at the same time as listening I get "punished" for it...the music stops. Then im fumbling around with the cursor again, trying to find roughly the same spot on the screen, its never the same, etc.

is there a way (or setting) so that when you click on the currently already highlighted file that's playing, it just keeps playing the song? instead of restarting the song? (of course for newly selected/highlighted songs, they would indeed start playing from the start).

cheers,
Blackout

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: drag and drop of file - and getting punished for doing i

That's a downside of the single-click system (there'll be an often-requested option for classic double-click play), so behavior needs to be a little different here, but there are two solutions.

The file list behavior is as follows:
  • When you click a non-playing file, it always starts playing right away.
  • When you CTRL-click any file, it is selected, but never starts playing automatically. That means you can also CTRL-drag the currently playing file.
  • You can always clear the current selection in file list by pressing ESC.
  • When the playing file is not selected yet, it will never restart when you click it. So, if you press ESC to clear the selection, then drag the playing file away, it will never restart.
  • When the playing file is already selected, and you click it again, it will restart.
This behavior also holds true for the reworked Beta, which is about to be released.

Hope that helps and clears up things!
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Blackout
Beta Tester

Thanks Tom. the CTRL-click system looks perfect and will work just fine in this case! yay.

double-click play is a hard one and I understand why you've avoided it. because the beauty of Resonic is the fast selection and audition, which single click play is an intrinsic part of. Double-click play would ruin it I think. But I guess it could always be an option in settings.

thanks again :)
Blackout

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

You're welcome.
Blackout wrote:Double-click play is a hard one and I understand why you've avoided it.
It's quite the opposite.

Double-click based operation is the Windows-wide default, and most apps stick to that. It's actually pretty easy to develop for double-click lists, but it's also very limiting, usability-wise. A single-click system requires a mental amount of customization and custom handling. Offering a sane double-click system on top of a single-click system is a monumentally tedious task ;) I honestly think the single-click implementation in Resonic is pretty excellent so far.
because the beauty of Resonic is the fast selection and audition, which single click play is an intrinsic part of. Double-click play would ruin it I think. But I guess it could always be an option in settings.
Yep.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.