Re: Trigger Samples Via MIDI/USB Controller

Up for 2015 8-)

Thanks Tom
www.MaxLapierre.com

Mixchief
Getting the hang of it
Artist Handle: Mixchief
Primary DAW: Ableton

I was going to suggest this as well. For the record, I'm copy/pasting my notes from my personal "Resonic Suggestions" textfile. :nerd:

▷ Chromatic MIDI-triggering

There's some implementation considerations, for sure. Mainly regarding playback operation; specifically on the topics of [range], [looping] and [stopping].

RANGE

The whole soundfile should be played back -or- selection (if there's any selection).
  • Pref. bonus: ”Poly mode (default: false)". To be able to hear chord previews of the current sound.

LOOPING

Global "Loop" button should determine whether MIDI-playback is looped or not. Just a thought.

STOPPING
  • Pref: "Stop playback on MIDI trigger release (default)". If unchecked, play soundfile as a one-shot until end.

▷ Slices MIDI-triggering
  • Pref: "Choose root MIDI key for first slice (default: C-3)".
  • Pref: "Play slices as one-shots (default)". Otherwise, stop playing a slice when releasing its MIDI trigger.
  • Pref. bonus: ”Only play slices with white keys”.
  • Pref. bonus: ”Poly slices playback mode”.

One might argue that I'm trying to propose that Resonic becomes more like a sampler, but that's not the intention. Things get complicated when implementing features like this, by nature. The direction I'm wishing for, though, is to improve Resonic as a Re-Sampler, which (in my perspective) is already the same direction it's heading, seeing that you have a Record function (which is invalueable!). Being able to trigger your soundfile in various ways with MIDI like suggested above, makes it (even more) super convenient to come up with new material!!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re:

Mixchief wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:58
I was going to suggest this as well. For the record, I'm copy/pasting my notes from my personal "Resonic Suggestions" textfile. :nerd:
Cool stuff, fits in nicely with and reinforces my own ideas :) Thanks for sharing!

This would be a move into synth territory, so I'm still thinking about poly sample auditioning. But I don't think poly slice auditioning would be happening anytime soon.

Of course, also, stop at end of slice.

What's the idea behind ”Only play slices with white keys”?
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Mixchief
Getting the hang of it
Artist Handle: Mixchief
Primary DAW: Ableton

Re: Re:

Tom wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 19:40
Have to admit, this is a slightly oddball feature that’s not super thought through... 😆 But it’s a convenience thing. If you want to play a series of consecutive slices rapidly, perhaps even by dragging your finger across the keyboard. Then it’s easier using only whites... Feel free to totally neglect this one!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Re:

Mixchief wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 09:51
Tom wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 19:40
Have to admit, this is a slightly oddball feature that’s not super thought through... 😆 But it’s a convenience thing. If you want to play a series of consecutive slices rapidly, perhaps even by dragging your finger across the keyboard. Then it’s easier using only whites... Feel free to totally neglect this one!
Makes sense.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.