Praise, and some feature suggestions

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
kloosterj
Getting the hang of it

Praise, and some feature suggestions

Just tried Resonic for the first time, for audio sample management purposes. There's a lot of sound libraries going on here. But I must say, I really love Resonic!

Some suggestions I received while developing the (now discontinued) SonicExplorer. Hope they are of use for your future developments.

1) Show some statistics in the status bar. For example the total number and the number of playable files in a folder. Or the number of times a sample was played or dragged out.
2) Add basic tagging ("kick", "snare", "loop" etc.), ranking ("3 stars") and "add to favorites" functions.
3) Add some preferences on "what a click on the file should do". I personally think every click should restart the audio sample (same as Enter key). Others may like it as it is now: just keep on playing.
4) Make an optional dark visual theme to keep it less distracting in a dark environment

But whatever you do: keep it very, very fast! Don't add a feature that compromises on speed. That way it will be usable as a normal audio player, but also be very suitable for audio sample management. Racing through a few hundred kick sounds should be fast and smooth.

Good sample managers are very scarcely found (or quite expensive) for Windows. I'd love to see Resonic evolve in some kind of (but faster) Audiofinder for Windows!

I'll be using the alpha in the upcoming months while producing music. I'll get back to you when discovering issues or possible improvements. Keep up the good work!
Regards, Jan

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Praise, and some feature suggestions

Hey Jan,

nice to finally have you around here! :)
kloosterj wrote:Just tried Resonic for the first time, for audio sample management purposes. There's a lot of sound libraries going on here. But I must say, I really love Resonic!
Glad to hear that!

Thanks for the suggestions! Most of them I do already have on my idea list.

There's already an internal theming system in place, clearing the way for a dark theme, but that'll still be a good deal of work. I have to agree on the click thing, but then again there's two sides: if you look at Resonic as a sample browser the click definitively should restart the file, if you look at it as a music player accidentally clicking a mix or something is pretty annoying. I have to find the middle there, guess it'll all boil down to several options for the user to customize behavior.
kloosterj wrote:But whatever you do: keep it very, very fast! Don't add a feature that compromises on speed. That way it will be usable as a normal audio player, but also be very suitable for audio sample management. Racing through a few hundred kick sounds should be fast and smooth.
I will! Most other apps and players are a bit laggy, and after going through lots of sounds, they often tend to become unstable. Also, there's often not much multi-core optimization going on. Some key aspects that kicked off Resonic development.
kloosterj wrote:Good sample managers are very scarcely found (or quite expensive) for Windows. I'd love to see Resonic evolve in some kind of (but faster) Audiofinder for Windows!
Development of Resonic Pro is going, and I've got a potential distributor already.
kloosterj wrote:I'll be using the alpha in the upcoming months while producing music. I'll get back to you when discovering issues or possible improvements. Keep up the good work!
Regards, Jan
Whenever you want to share your thoughts, please do! :)
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

MaxLapierre
Beta Tester

I also vote for that : I personally think every click should restart the audio sample (same as Enter key).

And Spacebar to play (same as Enter key).

Thanks
www.MaxLapierre.com

Blues
Starting to like this

kloosterj wrote: keep it very, very fast! Don't add a feature that compromises on speed.
Yes, that's my biggest concern, too :!:

My other votes are similar:
* some basic ranking system (stars or whatever) - YES
* show some statistics in the statur bar - yeah, why not
* Spacebar to toggle Play/Pause - a must, already implemented, good

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blues wrote:
kloosterj wrote: keep it very, very fast! Don't add a feature that compromises on speed.
Yes, that's my biggest concern, too :!:
No worries. One of the three basic ideas behind Resonic is its speed: no compromises. And even if advanced features might slow some things down, there will _always_ be a way to disable these parts. I intend to make sure these options are highly visible in the preferences dialog.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Blues
Starting to like this

Very reassuring to hear this from the developer himself. :)

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

For short samples previewing, an option (keyboard shortcut to enable it ?) to not start the next sample playback once a sample is played.
When you preview a big list of hundreds of short snares sounds, the whole list has already been played without you had the time to realize it :lol: So it makes sample spotting a bit harder.
I wish it could pause when a sample has been played (for instance : a "sample playlist" mode (or "queuing" mode) > Resonic plays the sample, then gets ready to play the next sample, but waits for the space bar to be pressed), or a "let my lazy brain compute mode" ( Resonic plays a sample, and then wait a couple of seconds before playing the next one).

Of course, such a mode wouldn't be the best while using Resonic as a music player, but that's really what i would expect from a sample manager (so being able to have both options and switching using a simple key shortcut would be great).

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:For short samples previewing, an option (keyboard shortcut to enable it ?) to not start the next sample playback once a sample is played.
When you preview a big list of hundreds of short snares sounds, the whole list has already been played without you had the time to realize it :lol: So it makes sample spotting a bit harder.
I wish it could pause when a sample has been played (for instance : a "sample playlist" mode (or "queuing" mode) > Resonic plays the sample, then gets ready to play the next sample, but waits for the space bar to be pressed), or a "let my lazy brain compute mode" ( Resonic plays a sample, and then wait a couple of seconds before playing the next one).

Of course, such a mode wouldn't be the best while using Resonic as a music player, but that's really what i would expect from a sample manager (so being able to have both options and switching using a simple key shortcut would be great).
Just select the 'stop after current' playback mode (menu | playback), then use the up/down arrow keys (and other shortcuts, see www.resonic.at/docs/shortcuts) to preview your samples with light speed.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

ah, thanks !