Compact seek bar / listening mode

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
PHM
Likes it here

Compact seek bar / listening mode

I just want to emphasize the importance of a compact seek bar (lab #0000009).

After using Resonic for a while now, I wish I could hide the visualization while listening to music (maybe even the possibility to seek through tracks). To see which and where musical information is in a file is very practical sometimes (detecting silence etc.) but when I'm listening I just want to listen to the music :D

I assume a stripped down interface for the average music listener is on your map,
because you already can hide everything except the visualization.

You might know this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Compact seek bar / listening mode

McGurk I'm familiar with, yep. I absolutely second the fact that sometimes you just want to be listening. Fancy UI stuff - especially the analyzer - has the potential to distract from the actual music. Same usually goes for music production where it's often good to just look away while moving the mouse and listen, i.e. the natural way of working with hardware.

So a compact seekie is definitely on the horizon.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Blackout
Beta Tester

some people say that production used to be done "better" back in the old multitrack tape days for this exact reason, because you listened. You never used your eyes [ie Pro Tools].

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Blackout wrote:some people say that production used to be done "better" back in the old multitrack tape days for this exact reason, because you listened. You never used your eyes [ie Pro Tools].
I'm sure of that.

People nowadays tend to use their eyes way too much, especially on plugins. For example you turn an EQ knob way up to 4 o'clock and you go like "wait, that looks too much" when in reality you should be listening, totally disregarding the interface. That's why I'll never want to exclusively work in-the-box. Often I'm just recording my tinkering directly to audio tracks over and over again, completely bypassing the use of MIDI parts that could be quantized to death - or in other words to perfection, which imo is quite the opposite.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:People nowadays tend to use their eyes way too much, especially on plugins. For example you turn an EQ knob way up to 4 o'clock and you go like "wait, that looks too much" when in reality you should be listening, totally disregarding the interface.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes this. I used to try remastering previous recordings of mine, but ended up so distracted by the flashy interfaces that I had to just guess, encode, and listen on an external player just to hear if I got it right... I have since skipped the entire remastering process, and just rerecorded everything I want to use. (it isn't that hard with what I use, and I use it so infrequently I can't justify anything else)
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.