Four things (and thank you)

Your thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticism
JamesEW
Beta Tester

Four things (and thank you)

Hi,

I have been looking for software like this for years to navigate my massive sample library of MP3 and wav files. This is the best one I've found so far. Thank you.

I already emailed this but with hindsight its more appropriate to post on here.

Feature Request 1:
Where you have those small coloured squares indicating Lossy / Lossless next to listed files in the browser, could you make this a tickbox so that as you browse/play your sample files, you can tick ones you plan to use, and export them to a folder.

I'm not talking about having a specific feature to export files inside your app, more so that all the files you have selected (ticked) can be cut or copied (via right click command as it is now) and I can then paste these into a folder in windows file explorer.

I am aware you can make multiple selections already but obviously as you cue the next file, the multiple selections are unselected like Windows file explorer behavior.

I am sure this would be very popular amongst music producers like me who like to organise the samples they wish to use in a project using a "lightweight" application.

Feature Request 2:
Having had another play just a moment ago, it would be even more brilliant if there was a simple toggle option next to loop button to reverse playback, and possibly options to change/tune the pitch of sample playback (think this might be planned in Pro).

I know this is not a music making app but because of how fast, responsive and specific the waveform / mouse pointer playback is, using Resonic really helps me to get inspiration/ideas from cueing samples, in the same way Ableton live is for getting those ideas down quickly.

I can even cue samples whilst my arrangement plays in the background. Being able to alter the pitch would really give you an idea of whether or not a sample would fit within a music arrangement.

Feature Request 3:
Loopable waveform selections using drag mouse behaviour

Feature Request 4:
Allow someway to add multiple folders into a single refreshable directory (or just using the bookmarks system currently in use), and have it so that all files/sub-folder files can be played without navigating to the sub-folders (like shuffle music player on PC).
Basically this is like any media player where you add your music library folders and begin playback in sequential or shuffle mode.

Implementing this means not only have you made the best sample browser imo but you have also made a very solid/fast PC based music player. One with massive file support, fast loading and a GUI / waveform feature that is as cool as Soundcloud's et al.

I have been looking for this for years (MusicIP, JetAudio, Shuffle Music Player, etc) but they all have their annoying issues and are slow, especially with rescanning.

I really would love to use this as my go to shuffle/random music player and sample manager but it needs random playback of all content from multiple folders I have added/bookmarked.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I do hope Resonic always remains the quick responsive, and lightweight app it currently is now. Its a shame when solid software gets bloated.

Everything you have implemented so far is absolutely spot on and I've tried a lot of sample managers, none of which were anywhere near as good.

How would I go about being added to the Beta testing group?

Thanks.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Four things (and thank you)

Elliot, excuse the late response. I read all your emails, but I haven't yet managed to get back to you. I'm just replying to your big post in detail...

You can now browse the beta forum, by the way.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:I have been looking for software like this for years to navigate my massive sample library of MP3 and wav files. This is the best one I've found so far. Thank you.
You're welcome.
I already emailed this but with hindsight its more appropriate to post on here.
Indeed, but I usually reply to emails as well. It's just when I'm typing (coding) literally all day long every single line of email/forum/facebook/twitter reply I have to write feels like a tad too much, hence the delays.
Where you have those small coloured squares indicating Lossy / Lossless next to listed files in the browser, could you make this a tickbox so that as you browse/play your sample files, you can tick ones you plan to use, and export them to a folder.
That's actually a very good idea. Noted.
Having had another play just a moment ago, it would be even more brilliant if there was a simple toggle option next to loop button to reverse playback, and possibly options to change/tune the pitch of sample playback (think this might be planned in Pro).
Pitch shifting is indeed planned for Resonic Pro and there's also a proof-of-concept already. As a tester you might want to get in touch via Skype (liqube) for a private build.
I know this is not a music making app but because of how fast, responsive and specific the waveform / mouse pointer playback is, using Resonic really helps me to get inspiration/ideas from cueing samples, in the same way Ableton live is for getting those ideas down quickly.
Very glad to hear you discovered the main direction I'm trying to move to with Resonic (Pro): to make it a creativity pusher / inspirational tool! :)
Loopable waveform selections using drag mouse behaviour
In the works and one of the major Pro features.
Allow someway to add multiple folders into a single refreshable directory (or just using the bookmarks system currently in use), and have it so that all files/sub-folder files can be played without navigating to the sub-folders (like shuffle music player on PC). Basically this is like any media player where you add your music library folders and begin playback in sequential or shuffle mode.
'Recurse subfolders' is next on my list, which should make the start.
I have been looking for this for years (MusicIP, JetAudio, Shuffle Music Player, etc) but they all have their annoying issues and are slow, especially with rescanning.
I believe it's like this because they usually keep piling up new features instead of trying to (!) perfect one at a time, starting with the essential playback features.
I really would love to use this as my go to shuffle/random music player and sample manager but it needs random playback of all content from multiple folders I have added/bookmarked.
Brace yourself then for some nice updates :P
I do hope Resonic always remains the quick responsive, and lightweight app it currently is now. Its a shame when solid software gets bloated.
I will do my best to keep it fast, always.
Everything you have implemented so far is absolutely spot on and I've tried a lot of sample managers, none of which were anywhere near as good.
Thanks a lot!
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Thank you for responding to this topic and my email. I'm really excited about where this software and the pro version is heading in terms of features.

Thanks for letting me access the Beta forum. I'll be sure to test the latest build and hopefully offer some useful feedback / bug reports (if any).

Cheers.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Hi,

I have thought about another feature suggestion.

Would it be possible to allow a user to add "region markers" at points across a sample's waveform (I think this might be coming in Pro) but assign keyboard hotkeys e.g. numberpad or letters to each of these regions, so that specific regions of a sample could be auditioned / compared immediately from hitting the corresponding keys?

Am I right in thinking when a user keeps auditioning across a sample's waveform at different points, the software uses a smooth fade to avoid pops and clicks. It seems like it does to me which is great.

By accident, I've been able to use Resonic in a fairly creative way to get ideas, as I make electronic music made from short microsamples.

It would be really cool if we could somehow record what is being auditioned live to a "dump" wav file, but I suppose this is moving away from it's intended use, and more towards sampler territory.

Cheers.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:By accident, I've been able to use Resonic in a fairly creative way to get ideas, as I make electronic music made from short microsamples.
I like your thinking. Sent you a PM.