Resonic is currently in Early Access, and will be leaving Beta somewhere between 0.9 and 1.0. EA has benefits for both sides: it helps us make progress with an otherwise unfunded Indie project, and users get the low intro price and definitely a gift as we make progress.
The version is still < 1.0, because we decided to put our efforts into the foundations that needed to be strong enough to build upon and we weren't fully satisfied so far. Making a program as fast and responsive as Resonic is a bigger design challenge than one might think, and one thing we don't want to see is it becoming as laggy as so many others once big new features are packed on top. So, keeping it as fast as possible at all times is not an easy task.
We'll hit 0.9 in a few days which starts an all-important new stretch that will see many new features until 1.0. Psychologically and satisfaction-wise it is also an important version number step for us and updates will be smaller and more frequent starting with 0.9 as we'll be focusing on individual features, releasing as soon as they are ready.
While we share Reaper's philosophy - fast, compact, powerful, creative, non-conformist - we are still a niche product on single platform that serves a couple of very specific purposes, have a much smaller team, and are not as widely known. Keeping our efforts up needs support at this point. We'll raise the base price with 1.0 (that excludes EA users) and introduce update extensions at low prices that are completely optional - meaning the main program of course won't stop working. We believe this to be a very fair system seeing that users are not forced into spending if they don't want to (and I do live in the audio production world, I know how that works with other companies), but at the same time we are motivated to produce new, interesting features that users really want before they're willing to upgrade.
To sum this up: in the beginning you'll be receiving a year worth of updates for free, and then have the choice to get an extension or just wait. Resonic updates, while being not very frequent, have always been very large (see https://resonic.at/whatsnew
). If the project gets going properly we'll be able to do what Cockos are doing, and make it major-version based. Honestly, we'll see by the end of the next year what works best and how users like it, but we won't overcharge or double-charge users as a thank you for giving us their support at this stage.
Hope that sheds enough light on the topic. Any question, feel free to ask though.
Besides, we'll be integrating Resonic with Reaper to make it more seamless to work with both.