If I pay for Pro...what's going to be the plan for updates?

Discuss Resonic and other Liqube Audio products
gtvibes
Yay, I posted something
First Name: Bob

If I pay for Pro...what's going to be the plan for updates?

So, I want to support this effort but first want to know

how many upgrades Pro users will get before being nagged again for dosh?

I think Reaper has it right as an example. Pay for 6.x one time then only for 7x when it's really ready.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: If I pay for Pro...what's going to be the plan for updat

Resonic is currently in Early Access, and will be leaving Beta somewhere between 0.9 and 1.0. EA has benefits for both sides: it helps us make progress with an otherwise unfunded Indie project, and users get the low intro price and definitely a gift as we make progress.

The version is still < 1.0, because we decided to put our efforts into the foundations that needed to be strong enough to build upon and we weren't fully satisfied so far. Making a program as fast and responsive as Resonic is a bigger design challenge than one might think, and one thing we don't want to see is it becoming as laggy as so many others once big new features are packed on top. So, keeping it as fast as possible at all times is not an easy task.

We'll hit 0.9 in a few days which starts an all-important new stretch that will see many new features until 1.0. Psychologically and satisfaction-wise it is also an important version number step for us and updates will be smaller and more frequent starting with 0.9 as we'll be focusing on individual features, releasing as soon as they are ready.

While we share Reaper's philosophy - fast, compact, powerful, creative, non-conformist - we are still a niche product on single platform that serves a couple of very specific purposes, have a much smaller team, and are not as widely known. Keeping our efforts up needs support at this point. We'll raise the base price with 1.0 (that excludes EA users) and introduce update extensions at low prices that are completely optional - meaning the main program of course won't stop working. We believe this to be a very fair system seeing that users are not forced into spending if they don't want to (and I do live in the audio production world, I know how that works with other companies), but at the same time we are motivated to produce new, interesting features that users really want before they're willing to upgrade.

To sum this up: in the beginning you'll be receiving a year worth of updates for free, and then have the choice to get an extension or just wait. Resonic updates, while being not very frequent, have always been very large (see https://resonic.at/whatsnew). If the project gets going properly we'll be able to do what Cockos are doing, and make it major-version based. Honestly, we'll see by the end of the next year what works best and how users like it, but we won't overcharge or double-charge users as a thank you for giving us their support at this stage.

Hope that sheds enough light on the topic. Any question, feel free to ask though.

Besides, we'll be integrating Resonic with Reaper to make it more seamless to work with both.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Tagirijus
Likes it here
First Name: Manuel
Primary DAW: Reaper
Resonic: Pro

Just FYI: I'd be totally cool to pay for updates. ;)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Tagirijus wrote:Just FYI: I'd be totally cool to pay for updates. ;)
Happy to hear that :)

But as I stated, it will be completely optional for the users and we'll have to deliver more.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.