Programming Background

Discuss Resonic and other Liqube Audio products
PHM
Likes it here

Programming Background

I'm (and possibly others) interested in some background informations regarding computer programming.
In other words, I've almost no clue about a project like resonic / coding in general.

I don't want to waste your time and I would totally understand it if you don't have enough time to answer
or if you don't even want to talk about your person anyway (action speaks louder than words.. etc.)..

Random questions running in my head:
When and how did you start to code? How long did it take you to be able to even think about programming resonic?
How did the project evolve until the first alpha-release? Is it common to use an IDE for such a project, Visual Studio?
Or do you even have your own compiler and/or IDE? Is it common to use external libraries for some tasks /
which parts are fully customized and which rely on external building blocks?
Is it difficult to keep track of licenses (releasing a commercial product while using certain libraries)? ..

Just trying grasp a little bit of the big picture ;)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (SP1)
Resonic Beta 0.6.3b

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Re: Programming Background

PHM wrote:I don't want to waste your time and I would totally understand it if you don't have enough time to answer
or if you don't even want to talk about your person anyway.
I like to take the time to respond, whenever possible, even if it takes a little while.

When and how did you start to code?
To be honest, I don't remember, but way before I got into music and at an early age. Which age qualifies you to say you "started" something? Isn't it more like, when did you start becoming really good at something? It could take you 20 years to master an art, or 5 years, if you really, really want it and stick to it.

How long did it take you to be able to even think about programming resonic?
Relative to when? I sketched out the first ideas of Resonic about ten years ago, but jobs and other things kept me from really dedicating a good part of my time to any project. I created lots of smaller tools, had lots of other projects, on the side though. One should never stop doing what one is doing to keep the gears going.

Is it common to use an IDE for such a project, Visual Studio?
Yes, absolutely.

Or do you even have your own compiler and/or IDE?
Hehehe, but nope.

Is it common to use external libraries for some tasks?
Yes, usually things like - for example - the database engine.

How did the project evolve until the first alpha-release?
Most of the basic ideas were fixed within the first 6 months of development, starting in March 2011. However, I paused a couple of months in between. Up until the first Alpha release in December 2012 both code and design evolved and improved (a lot).

And if you're interested in how Resonic evolved over time:
http://resonic.at/temp/evolution/index.html

Which parts are fully customized and which rely on external building blocks?
At this point everything you see is customized in some way. Both file list and browser are customized to the max, hence the many fixes and improvements all the time. The "external building blocks" would be standard Windows controls like the transport buttons, on which these are based on. But even the buttons are about to change.

Is it difficult to keep track of licenses (releasing a commercial product while using certain libraries)?
Not really. There aren't that many. You have to know your libraries, their exact licensing terms, and you need to know whether they meet the requirements for what you are trying to create. Also very important is to give credit where credit is due. The beta will finally have an About dialog which will also include third-party credits.
Just trying grasp a little bit of the big picture ;)
Feel free to ask.

Everybody's just cooking with fire after all, it's the attention to detail that makes the difference.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

PHM
Likes it here

Re: Programming Background

Thanks for the insights, really appreciate it!

The evolution is definitely recognisable :D
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (SP1)
Resonic Beta 0.6.3b