Remote control Resonic with an old Sony-Ericsson cell phone

Discuss Resonic and other Liqube Audio products
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Remote control Resonic with an old Sony-Ericsson cell phone

So, I stumbled upon an old photo that reminded me to share something geeky with you:

Remember the good old Sony-Ericsson K-series cell phones? Like for example the excellent K750i. Some of these cells came equipped with HID (human interface device, ie. keyboard and mouse) emulation via Bluetooth and also supported custom remote control templates.

So all you need, besides the cell phone, is Bluetooth on your PC (built into many laptops, or via USB dongle) and a single file ("Resonic Remote.hid", which is attached to this post) that you send to your old SE cell. Once you do that the phone will ask you whether you want to install and use it right away. Enable BT, pair your phone, and you're good to go.

I've been using this hack with a K750i and a USB Bluetooth dongle to control Resonic on my Desktop PC for the last two years and I have to say, for what it's worth, it's still working pretty well.

Note that some of these phones don't have a flight mode, which means you have to slide in an old (expired) SIM card. Also, they go into power saving after about ten seconds, but you can easily wake the BT connection by pressing the * button. Finally, the Resonic window has to have to focus for this to work. But after all, it's a fun hack hehe

That much being said, that doesn't mean that there isn't something else in preparation... :roll:
Attachments
p1120225-001.jpg
Resonic Remote s-e.png
Resonic Remote s-e.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Resonic Remote.hid
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Andreasvb

Re: Remote control Resonic with an old Sony-Ericsson cell ph

Kind of like the logo and the font.

Also a bit geeky: Controlling foobar2000 with foo_controlserver from a Telnet client, e.g. PuTTY. :D

:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live

Heheh, true.

And the logo is of ancient times, when I just had started Resonic ^^
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

You should update it for use with android... lol
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.