Alpha 3957

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Alpha 3957

Read the included instructions.txt and changelog.txt.
Discuss anything related to this build right here.

Still, the main focus of this build is improved performance and the new column system, also new is the notification bar at the bottom of the window that replaces popup messages.

Right-click on columns for automatic column alignment options. All options and their behaviors were reworked.
Attachments
resonic-pre-130413-3957.zip
(214 Bytes) Downloaded 17 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Andreasvb

Re: Alpha 2013-04-13 (Build 3957)

Noticed following.
Bug:
- Notification shows each time you move the window if it couldn't avoid horizontal scroll bar.

New:
- Info about amount and size of files in folder, displayed in status bar.
- New notification in status bar, as indicated on labs-page.

Would be good with a more updated changelog between the builds as well. :)
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Columns working perfectly for me.

Visualizations are way off on the frequency measurements... I'd say get rid of the frequency marker (the one that shows what frequency the cursor is over in the visualization area) since 30Hz audio is registering at 27Hz, 35Hz comes in at 30, 40Hz comes in at 31, 45 is at 40, 50 at 47, 55 at 47, and 60 at 52... (everything below 30Hz looks like 20Hz)
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreasvb wrote: Bug:
- Notification shows each time you move the window if it couldn't avoid horizontal scroll bar.
not a bug, but maybe only show it once in a while or, not sure.
New:
- Info about amount and size of files in folder, displayed in status bar.
- New notification in status bar, as indicated on labs-page.

Would be good with a more updated changelog between the builds as well. :)

Code: Select all

changelog.txt:
+ Introducing the notification and status bar, which replaces most of the
   annoying message popups.
  It sits at the bottom of the main window and shows various kinds of
   messages in the colors green, yellow, orange, and red.
+ Number of files in current folder and total size now shown in status bar
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

BTGbullseye wrote:Columns working perfectly for me.
tbh, i'm generally really unhappy with this.

i'll probably rework this again, feels like patchwork even though it's design attempt #6 or something ;) feels like this is just a hack, rather than innovative coding, even though most other apps don't have auto columns.
Visualizations are way off on the frequency measurements... I'd say get rid of the frequency marker (the one that shows what frequency the cursor is over in the visualization area) since 30Hz audio is registering at 27Hz, 35Hz comes in at 30, 40Hz comes in at 31, 45 is at 40, 50 at 47, 55 at 47, and 60 at 52... (everything below 30Hz looks like 20Hz)
the low end is far from accurate, simply because there is little to no data and the intermediate points are interpolated. to get an accurate reading down there the fft resolution would need to be double, at least. but i don't intend putting this into the player version of resonic, i.e. the freeware. it's eye candy and works well for a rough look at the overall frequencies.

Andreasvb

Tom wrote:not a bug, but maybe only show it once in a while or, not sure.
I don't think it should show each time you move the window, will get a bit annoying I guess.
Tom wrote:changelog.txt
Doh, even though it was under older build and no separation between builds. :P

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreasvb wrote:I don't think it should show each time you move the window, will get a bit annoying I guess.
definitely.

maybe show it once per session, like the tray popup, should be enough.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:
BTGbullseye wrote:Columns working perfectly for me.
tbh, i'm generally really unhappy with this.

i'll probably rework this again, feels like patchwork even though it's design attempt #6 or something ;) feels like this is just a hack, rather than innovative coding, even though most other apps don't have auto columns.
Ah, the joys of coding while being a perfectionist... Part of why I can't create code for more than little things, (usually mods or small hacks for things that I really like a lot) and why I never really got into coding professionally. (I get stuck after about 30 lines of code, and have to go back and perfect them for several hours)
Tom wrote:
the low end is far from accurate, simply because there is little to no data and the intermediate points are interpolated. to get an accurate reading down there the fft resolution would need to be double, at least. but i don't intend putting this into the player version of resonic, i.e. the freeware. it's eye candy and works well for a rough look at the overall frequencies.
I kinda figured that was probly the case. I just think that having the label telling you what the frequency is in the player version might get you some complaints, and might best be removed. It is your choice though, I'm just happy to have a great player available for free. (I also enjoy being a tester, because I can give a good view of how the average person will likely use it, and because I always like being able to help make things better)
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Andreasvb

Tom wrote:maybe show it once per session, like the tray popup, should be enough.
I like that it show you when you resize the window, but not when just moving it. :)

mrfox
Beta Tester

Pretty much everything works like it should. I only bumped into one problem: file informations sometimes not loading automatically. But when they do, they load pretty fast, so performance improvements are really noticable. The auto-fit problem I reported earlier seems to be gone too.

The fun thing that the player was pretty fast for the first time, but it's getting more and more faster and more stable by every build I try.

Keep up the good work, I'll report back if I find anything else.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

BTGbullseye wrote:Ah, the joys of coding while being a perfectionist...
tell me about it... ;)
I kinda figured that was probly the case. I just think that having the label telling you what the frequency is in the player version might get you some complaints, and might best be removed.
that might be true, but still it's a very useful tool, especially for anything mid and high range.

will see what makes it into the pro and what stays in the player, but i don't intend to remove that much.
I also enjoy being a tester, because I can give a good view of how the average person will likely use it, and because I always like being able to help make things better
appreciated!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreasvb wrote:I like that it show you when you resize the window, but not when just moving it. :)
yep.

however, i decided to go without the auto-fit option in the next release. it'll be classic auto-adjust (i.e. avoid horizontal scrollbar, if possible) as an option.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mrfox wrote:I only bumped into one problem: file informations sometimes not loading automatically. But when they do, they load pretty fast
you mean meta data sometimes not loading on first attempt when changing folders?

that's a known issue, but also one of the bigger ones solution-wise. i'll have to keep this for quite a few of the next updates until it's solved. but it's okay, as it's just a visual thing and f5 solves it.
The fun thing that the player was pretty fast for the first time, but it's getting more and more faster and more stable by every build I try.
i'm constantly reworking, optimizing, restructuring, redesigning, tons of internals that are usually not really noticed when looking at the gui. but it's necessary to keep the performance as high as it is.

i'll post the release candidate soon.
Keep up the good work, I'll report back if I find anything else.
thanks!