Alpha 0.6b Build 12261

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Re: 11310 - Beta Test

resonic-test-141211-11310b
Featuring a brand new sleep timer.
Attachments
resonic-test-141211-11310b.png
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Alt
Beta Tester

I guess many users noticed that if you select another folder during playback, next track will be played from that folder (first - if in sequentiall mode, random - in random). In Beta, regardless of a selected mode, player always choose random track from a new folder. Also (only in sequentiall mode) if you select another folder when current track is the last in a file list, playback will stop after it.
---
It was already reported but as bug is pretty noticeable (and devs removed "refresh all" command from context menu) I'd like to remember that "refresh" command (F5) in a file list still doesn't work.

elektroinside
Beta Tester
First Name: Peter
Primary DAW: Adobe Audition

Tom wrote:resonic-test-141211-11310b
Featuring a brand new sleep timer.
Issues found so far [updating]:
1. Cosmetic: when recursively adding a folder containing several subfolders, in the browser, the last added/scanned subfolder is selected/highlighted. I think the parent folder should be selected/highlighted (check attached recursive.png)
Attachments
recursive.png
recursive.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Alt wrote:I guess many users noticed that if you select another folder during playback, next track will be played from that folder (first - if in sequentiall mode, random - in random). In Beta, regardless of a selected mode, player always choose random track from a new folder. Also (only in sequentiall mode) if you select another folder when current track is the last in a file list, playback will stop after it.
---
It was already reported but as bug is pretty noticeable (and devs removed "refresh all" command from context menu) I'd like to remember that "refresh" command (F5) in a file list still doesn't work.

In the latest beta, if the folder is changed during playback, and sequential mode was previously selected, the playbacks stops at the change of track (after the playback of the current file ended). If random mode is selected, a random file from the newly selected file is played.
"Refresh all" is available from the browser, and refreshes the file list as well (and works).

Alt
Beta Tester

In the latest beta, if the folder is changed during playback, and sequential mode was previously selected, the playbacks stops at the change of track (after the playback of the current file ended).
I believe it's not correct, in Alpha folder that you switched to during playback was queued.
And it doesn't always work like that (and mine previously described bug reproduction too). Sometimes playback stops, sometimes player picks random file in sequential mode %)
Here's some demonstration - http://youtu.be/nlSzChLlfc0 (I didn't use any hotkeys, only mouse ;) )

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Alt wrote:I guess many users noticed that if you select another folder during playback, next track will be played from that folder (first - if in sequentiall mode, random - in random). In Beta, regardless of a selected mode, player always choose random track from a new folder. Also (only in sequentiall mode) if you select another folder when current track is the last in a file list, playback will stop after it.
Good finds. Looking into it!

F5 in file list is indeed still missing, which is a bit tricky to implement.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

elektroinside wrote:Cosmetic: when recursively adding a folder containing several subfolders, in the browser, the last added/scanned subfolder is selected/highlighted. I think the parent folder should be selected/highlighted (check attached recursive.png)
Noted.

MaxLapierre
Beta Tester

I was just to post the same bug :
There is no "Modified" option/column in the file list, to sort the files by modified date (this was extremely useful...)
www.MaxLapierre.com

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

MaxLapierre wrote:I was just to post the same bug :
There is no "Modified" option/column in the file list, to sort the files by modified date (this was extremely useful...)
Implemented yesterday, next build (today or tomorrow) will include this.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Don't Shade Played Area is still not functional. Otherwise no additional issues.
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re: 11144 - Beta Test

Blackout wrote:As Resonic plays waveforms EVEN FASTER now in the list (from my testing) it makes an even bigger mess of playing lists downwards of short samples like sample claps, where they all become one giant jumble of a mess all playing rapid-fire in succession. a timing delay would be nice as previously mentioned but I guess that's not a bug its a feature also. Maybe the waveform view working will slow this auto-play down a bit which will be nice hehe looking forward to that.
Good news:

The next build contains two new features for you to try in a menu called, well, "NEW FEATURES TO TRY", one of them being a configurable track delay, also known as playlist delay. It pauses after each track for a fixed amount of time.

The other feature is a Resonic first and extremely useful to any producer working with short sound files. I'd call it something like "Ensure minimum track length", but feel free to suggest something better. If you set this to 1000 ms then track advances will be limited to one per second. This can be set to a fixed duration to enforce a constant track advance interval for short sounds. Anything longer will play out.

Both features can be combined.
Attachments
snap141212023516.png
In next build
snap141212023516.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 787 times

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re: 11361 - Beta Test

resonic-test-141212-11361b
Delayed track advance, improved playlist handling, error handling (2 sec delay on error files), date columns, shade played area option, track delay + minimum track length feature tests.

As usual the file is attached to the original post.

Besides, I made some changes to the server/forum settings. Pages should load quite a bit faster now ;)
Attachments
resonic-test-141212-11361b.png

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:resonic-test-141212-11361b
Issues found so far:
1. No visual feedback when new delay options are active (nothing to show that the option is active, within the menu, like other options). It's very hard to test what you don't see is active, specially if you do more stuff at the same time...
2. Copied resonic on one external HDD and configured it with my preferences on PC1. Moving the HDD to PC2 will not use the settings configured on PC1.
3. Subfolders in the browser are still not alphabetically arranged.
Last edited by elektroinside on December 12th, 2014, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

I think we're at a pretty stable build here. I'm still just waiting for that repeat all to show up. ;)

So far this is the fastest, most stable version of the fastest, most stable player I've ever used.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

BTGbullseye wrote:I think we're at a pretty stable build here. I'm still just waiting for that repeat all to show up. ;)

So far this is the fastest, most stable version of the fastest, most stable player I've ever used.
Agree :)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

elektroinside wrote:1. No visual feedback when new delay options are active
Now would be a good time to mention these are proofs of concept and are obviously not to stay in a menu like that.
2. Copied resonic on one external HDD and configured it with my preferences on PC1. Moving the HDD to PC2 will not use the settings configured on PC1.
See resonicboot.ini

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

BTGbullseye wrote:So far this is the fastest, most stable version of the fastest, most stable player I've ever used.
Good to hear 8-)

Jan
Beta Tester
Resonic: Player

(See Picture) Yes, I really do ^_^ Btw I love that you keep the current song playing even after I decided to delete it over the right click context menu, yet it leaves me with the need to check the explorer just to make sure the file is really gone. I guess I will need some time to get used to it.
Attachments
resonic_ratings.png
resonic_ratings.png (34.35 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Jan wrote:Yet it leaves me with the need to check the explorer just to make sure the file is really gone.
As a temporary workaround, press CTRL-F5.
I guess I will need some time to get used to it.
Absolutely not! The new browser is monitoring folders, i.e. reflects external changes with a slight delay. The file list will also support monitoring, come time.
Ratings
Ah right, missing Alpha feature. This'll be in the next build.

Jan
Beta Tester

Sry, i think I chose the wrong word there. I noticed the browsers immediate response, but since the song was still playing, I felt the urge to check it by myself. I can't think of any player that handles a delete command like this, so ... well played Sir.

@Rating : ) Allright I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for your fast response.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Jan wrote:but since the song was still playing, I felt the urge to check it by myself. I can't think of any player that handles a delete command like this
Glad you noticed :)

Alt
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:
Jan wrote:but since the song was still playing, I felt the urge to check it by myself. I can't think of any player that handles a delete command like this
Glad you noticed :)
Worth mentioning that not only "delete" but also "cut/move" works during playback and not only in player window but also in "Explorer" and file managers!
Yeah, this feature is absolutely lovely for anyone who organizes collection.

Blackout
Beta Tester

Alt wrote: Worth mentioning that not only "delete" but also "cut/move" works during playback and not only in player window but also in "Explorer" and file managers!
hi Alt, so where is the "move" function exactly? ive been waiting for a "move" for along time...I still don't see the function "move" when I right-click? (but I wish I did!)

Cheers,
Blackout

Blackout
Beta Tester

re: Track delay in the latest beta, this is an awesome "new feature to try" Tom thanks! it works! And congrats for not making the track delay for the first sample that you play (which would be incredibly boring), but starting between the end of the first and the start of the second. exactly how it should be :)

there really needs to be a 500ms option. 250 ms can be too little, and 1000ms far too much waiting around...(please?)

also with the "track delay" off, I am experiencing a problem where "stop" doesn't seem to work when its flying through my list of closed hats, for example. it seems that resonic just gets really excited and enthusiastic with itself to play the whole list as fast as possible, and I cant stop it! I pound and pound the stop button on the Gui but it mercilessly keeps playing on. after around the 20th or 30th push I get it to stop. its quite frustrating.

what I think resonic is doing is disabling the stop button when its in-between playing tracks? so I can only seem to "get lucky" with the stop button when I time it to be right in the middle of playing a sample, and as they are so short, its like trying to whack-a-mole. I can make a quick video of the problem if you like?

Cheers,
Blackout

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Alt wrote:Worth mentioning that not only "delete" but also "cut/move" works during playback and not only in player window but also in "Explorer" and file managers!
Several years ago I used foo + waveform component to manage my music collection (useless for samples), but it just didn't work too well. I quickly got frustrated by constantly locked files, like for example while the waveform didn't finish generating I couldn't delete or alter files -> error popup. That was an absolute no-no for me when organizing things. Later, after I had stopped using foo for a good while, I revisited the problems and decided to do all these things differently in Resonic.

Since it wasn't that easy to implement you realizing it to be a feature made me smile :D

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:Track delay, this is an awesome "new feature to try"... exactly how it should be :)
Quite useful it is, hehe
there really needs to be a 500ms option.
As I mentioned earlier, this is a proof of concept. The menu items will go in favor of:
Player: Single option (e.g. 500ms minimum length).
Pro: User-defined configuration settings + toggles for both of them.
also with the "track delay" off, I am experiencing a problem where "stop" doesn't seem to work when its flying through my list of closed hats, for example. it seems that resonic just gets really excited and enthusiastic with itself to play the whole list as fast as possible, and I cant stop it! I pound and pound the stop button on the Gui but it mercilessly keeps playing on. after around the 20th or 30th push I get it to stop. its quite frustrating.
You're absolutely right, I noticed that too. I'll try to improve the behavior here.
what I think resonic is doing is disabling the stop button when its in-between playing tracks?
Nope, never disables it.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Ratings (reading) finally re-implemented, better and faster than ever before.

I'm transparently interpreting various ratings into "Resonic ratings". Currently reading
- standard text ratings from all major formats (flac, etc.), including foobar2000 rating tags
- ID3v2 popularimeter ratings written by Windows, WMP, MediaMonkey, iTunes, etc., which are all a bit different
- ASF/WMA/WMV shared user ratings
- MP4 ratings
- support for half-star ratings as well
- some secret-sauce ones

Next build has all of this... tomorrow.
Attachments
snap141213025606.png
snap141213025606.png (48.09 KiB) Viewed 759 times

Jan
Beta Tester

Thank you Tom <3

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Jan wrote:Thank you Tom <3
Thanks for reminding me :P When testing it please let me know when there's something not being reported correctly.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

resonic-test-141213-11390b
Intermediate.

Now working on waveform.
Attachments
snap141214173457.png

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Hi
Thank you for all your work, Tom.
I tried Resonic on two computers (Win7 64bit & Win Vista 32bit) for basic tasks, and it's really a great program which performs very well.
In the next days, i should be able to give it a deeper try.

Blackout
Beta Tester

"double-click on folder to play first track" still broken...

wshaper
Beta Tester

Hi,

Quick report :

- track delay works fine (it's really great for previewing short samples, very handy !).
Do you plan to increase pause duration between samples (1sec is ok in most cases, but in some situation, maybe that going up to 2 or 4 seconds might be helpful) ?
How do you know when it's on or off ?

- How is minimum track lenght supposed to work (i guess it is supposed to be a bit like track delay, intended to be used with short samples) ?
As for the moment there is no way to see if it is enabled or disbaled, i am not sure if what i am hearing is not just the track delay (instead of the "min track lenght")...

- I'm (very) glad to see output device management coming ! :D

- So many useful stuff in the columns is great, too !

Resonic is shaping up nicely ;)

wshaper
Beta Tester

"maintain playback position" is genius when A/B different versions of the same track !
Great for edits, remixes, mastering...

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:Do you plan to increase pause duration between samples (1sec is ok in most cases, but in some situation, maybe that going up to 2 or 4 seconds might be helpful) ?
Yeah, that could become an option. Handling needs to be improved though. Like differentiate between automatic advance and user advance. It should stop when a user clicks a file.
How do you know when it's on or off ?
You don't. As I said, it's test features. I thought writing the FEATURES TO TRY menu item in caps would suggest it's just features to try ;) Whether I keep new features depends on the feedback. But these are extremely handy and will stay in any case. I think I'll set a fixed minimum length for the Player, e.g. 250 ms.
- How is minimum track lenght supposed to work (i guess it is supposed to be a bit like track delay, intended to be used with short samples) ?
It ensures there's at least x msec between track advances, including sample length. Just compare 500 ms track delay with 500 ms minimum track length and play a couple of sounds of varying size which are all < 500 ms. You'll notice.
- I'm (very) glad to see output device management coming ! :D
Yeap. Still a bit weird/broken, but coming!
- So many useful stuff in the columns is great, too !
There's gonna be at least 5 times as much in the Pro, categorized :D

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

resonic-test-141218-11492b
Many fixes + preliminary DSP chaining, headphones button (crossfeed) serving as a practical example.

Here's a list of the most prominent changes, as usual some are internal only.
Attachments
snap141218050053.png

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Re: 11492 - Beta Test

Awesome! Testing now... Well, downloading now, testing in the morning.

Alt
Beta Tester

Now minimized player sometimes doesn't advance to next track. Right after opening/restoring window playback continuous. Too much optimization? :D

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

Alt wrote:Too much optimization? :D
Possibly, yes ;) Is this reproducible or does it just happen randomly?

Alt
Beta Tester

Random. There's similar bug when advancing works but taskbar title stays the same. And it also updates when you restore window.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Alt wrote:Random. There's similar bug when advancing works but taskbar title stays the same. And it also updates when you restore window.
This is strange. If you find a way to reproduce it, please tell, because I can't seem to.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

A note on crossfeed:

The algorithm works on stereo only and effectively bleeds a bit of the left channel into the right channel, and the other way round, applies some filtering, thus reducing the super-stereo effect.

On speakers you have a natural crossfeed going, in headphones this is basically simulated to a certain degree.

The effect becomes more apparent after prolonged listening to audio in headphones without crossfeed and at certain volumes: your ears get tired, stressed out, and it maybe even cause headaches.

Try listening to music in headphones for a couple of hours, then try again the next day with the headphones button activated. You'll likely notice the difference.

Blackout
Beta Tester

interesting Tom. im not sure if it is over-engineering to put this into the player or not though. I would never want it on, I want to hear exactly what the file is meant to sound like. Actually now im worried that this thing might be on, without me knowing, and "skewing" my impression of my master file.

if you want to start messing with the audio in Resonic then first stop would be an EQ curve before some stereo processing like this I would have thought....but that's just me ;) even better... a single VST plugin insert symbol on the right hand side of the waveform so I can insert my own waves EQ or something....now THAT would be really PRO :) but of course I would need to put this into the requests section if I was requesting it and im not necessarily doing that... hehe

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:then first stop would be an EQ curve
EQ is really low on my list.
Blackout wrote:interesting Tom. im not sure if it is over-engineering to put this into the player or not though. I would never want it on, I want to hear exactly what the file is meant to sound like. Actually now im worried that this thing might be on, without me knowing, and "skewing" my impression of my master file.
I understand your concerns, however, the signal chain is absolutely pure. The button is intentionally orange, which also stands for lossy in the file list. Monitoring options will be added to the list of Pro DSPs, like mono, invert, M/S, etc..

Worth mentioning though, there are two basic ways to controlling a GUI:

1) Active, i.e. user clicks a button, which in turn does something, then sets enabled/color for button, whatever. This is what most apps, and especially most players, do. This is error-prone, like the problem BTGbullseye had with the loop button: it wasn't on, but still the track was looping.

2) Passive, i.e. user clicks a button, which in turn does something, but never ever touches the button state or visuals. In fact the application waits for feedback which then updates the buttons (or whatever else). What this means is that the button will always reflect the actual state of something.

The Resonic Beta is making more and more use of the latter system, like for the playback controls - they reflect the _actual_ state - and so does the headphones button. The DSP chain is completely unhooked from the output. When the button is orange, it's on, otherwise there is no way in hell DSP is affecting sound as the whole processor is deleted, not just disabled.

I also intend on letting users hide buttons, btw.

Hope this clears things up.

Blackout
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:
EQ is really low on my list.
fair enough too. was just commenting that it should be higher on the list than "sonic processing" to make headphone listening apparently "better" that's all.

EQ is such a tough thing. youll never please everyone that it sounds great. you would be better off allowing us to use our own eq plugin, if anything for the Pro version, and not even try to chase your tail with getting EQ algorithms right.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

So far I have no issues with this build.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:EQ is such a tough thing. youll never please everyone that it sounds great
True, not even the highest-quality expensive analog-modeled plugins can please everybody.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

resoniccore.dll in the latest test build is found as malicious by Avira Internet Security 2014 (check attachments).

Code: Select all

Download link: http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-internet-security
This is the description by Avira of the malicious code (obviously a false positive):

Code: Select all

PCK/ - Packer

Packer detection is a heuristic detection routine designed to detect common packers used by malware. Even though some packers are commercially available, many executables compressed with them are malware, or have a behaviour that presents a security or privacy risk.

Usually these packers employ encryption mechanisms and often manipulate the original executable code to hide the real functionality.

Please note that legitimate software may employ some of these commercial packers. A packer detection does not necessarily mean that the detected file is malicious. Due to this, enabling packer detection is usually only recommended for corporate users or for users who understand what runtime packers are and how to interpret a packer detection.

A PCK/ detected file is most likely not to be malicious if one or more of the following are true:
 - The program is in use for a very long time and is known to the user
 - The program was installed by the user himself
 - The program comes from a trustworthy source

If you are ever unsure whether a PCK/ detected file is legitimate we highly recommend uploading it to http://www.avira.com/en/support/submit_suspicious_files.html for further analysis. 

File details Runtime packer:
 In order to aggravate detection and reduce size of the file it is packed with a runtime packer.
Attachments
avira2.png
avira1.png
avira1.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Andreasvb

Yes, I get the same with 360 Total Security (when using Avira engine).
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

That's indeed a false positive. Current betas and the upcoming pro version will be encrypted to reduce piracy. The files are not digitally signed yet, but once they are these warnings should disappear.