Alpha 0.6b Build 12261

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Alt
Beta Tester

Re: 11006 - Beta Test

@ Martin
Good to see, thanks!
---
I noticed that with hidden visualisation CPU usage doesn't go lower. Would it be possible in future not only hide but also disable/unload visualisation? Because now there's a waste of resources.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Alt wrote:I noticed that with hidden visualisation CPU usage doesn't go lower. Would it be possible in future not only hide but also disable/unload visualisation? Because now there's a waste of resources.
Yes. There's optimization potential there. Options like redraw speed would help as well.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

resonic-test-141204-11144b

Plus several other changes, which are not listed here,
e.g. played area shaded for analyzers + spectrum (reduced to line when viz reached a certain height), etc.

Logo and click seek issues are known.
Attachments
resonic-test-141204-11144b.png
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

great !
Updates are going faster than ever ;)

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Re: 11144 - Beta Test

Looks good, but the 'Don't shade played area' option still doesn't work.
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Jan
Beta Tester
Resonic: Player

I liked the volume indicator from the alpha version better than the actual one, because it had more of a consistent feel to it.
Attachments
volume.png
volume.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 719 times

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Jan wrote:I liked the volume indicator from the alpha version better than the actual one, because it had more of a consistent feel to it.
Compromise, re: text foreground color vs. background color

Jan
Beta Tester

I see : /

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Anyone find anything else? Now is the time!

Especially handling-wise, problems with browser, problems with playback orders, file list issues, control behavior issues, etc.

Alt
Beta Tester

@ Tom
What about M4A/AAC problem under systems without AAC decoder (older than Win7)? Even on Win7+ it's a kind of issue if there bass_aac.dll also loads for nothing (doesn't work).
Alt wrote:
Nov 29—Dec 01 582 MP4-AAC format in all containers (MP4, M4A, AAC) doesn't play (shows error);
Unfixed. "Unlocker" shows that bass_aac.dll is in use (just like with previous beta) but still those formats can't be played.
Martin wrote:
Alt wrote:Under XP you can disable audio decoders in "Device Manager - Audio Coders". If it's still such easy under Win7 that could help to make sure.
You can use autoruns or InstalledCodec to disable individual codecs.
And speaking about useless files, this question seem unanswered
Alt wrote: (?) What \addons\bass.dll serves for? It's older then file in root folder and looks like it's currently not used.

ThomasHelzle
Pro User
First Name: Thomas
Primary DAW: Bitwig Studio

Sorry, not much to report - the stuff that is supposed to work seems to work for my rather simple needs.
I mainly miss the waveform view ATM and being able to directly select my ASIO soundcard...
I get strange errors when I switch audio outputs but understood that this part isn't finished, so didn't report...

Cheers,

Tom

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Hi
Same here :
ThomasHelzle wrote:- the stuff that is supposed to work seems to work for my rather simple needs.
- I mainly miss [...] being able to directly select my ASIO soundcard...
I haven't experienced any issues so far ;)

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Just the already mentioned issues with currently unimplemented features... Like the repeat all function.

Blackout
Beta Tester

miss the waveform view also. when its implemented there may be other issues that crop up as a result.

as Resonic plays waveforms EVEN FASTER now in the list (from my testing) it makes an even bigger mess of playing lists downwards of short samples like sample claps, where they all become one giant jumble of a mess all playing rapid-fire in succession. a timing delay would be nice as previously mentioned but I guess that's not a bug its a feature also. Maybe the waveform view working will slow this auto-play down a bit which will be nice hehe looking forward to that.

Jan
Beta Tester

Blackout wrote:... a timing delay would be nice ...
wouldn't it be better to stop autoplay instead?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blackout wrote:as Resonic plays waveforms EVEN FASTER now in the list (from my testing) it makes an even bigger mess of playing lists downwards of short samples like sample claps. a timing delay would be nice as previously mentioned but I guess that's not a bug its a feature also.
It's quite a bit faster now, yes. An advance delay is an important item on the todo list, but it's also one of the more complicated ones to implement. So still looking for a solution.
Maybe the waveform view working will slow this auto-play down a bit which will be nice hehe looking forward to that.
If done right it shouldn't slow it down much hehe

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Jan wrote:
Blackout wrote:... a timing delay would be nice ...
wouldn't it be better to stop autoplay instead?
Well yeah, that's what it's for. But a delay is still essential for sample browsing.

Jan
Beta Tester

Oh okay, I guess I can only wish you good luck with the implementation than : )

elektroinside
Beta Tester
First Name: Peter
Primary DAW: Adobe Audition

Tom wrote:
Jan wrote:I liked the volume indicator from the alpha version better than the actual one, because it had more of a consistent feel to it.
Compromise, re: text foreground color vs. background color
I have to admit that i also like the volume control of the alpha more than the beta. The jumping volume percent takes away that solid feeling which was absolutely awesome. I noticed though that the colors are darkened a little bit in the beta, so i guess the font color used before is not suitable anymore.

UPDATE:
Maybe you could try adding another object, which shows the volume percent all the time, like in the snapshot i attached. When actions like dimmer or mute are active, an idea would be to change the percent string with a D or M letter, or calculate the remaining volume percent when dimmed, when muted is 0%...
Attachments
volume.png
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Cosmetic UI issues:
1. When a track is paused, both the play button and the pause button are active, yet they have different green color shades. An idea would be to simulate a real DJ CD Player: combine the play&pause buttons when the track is paused (or simulate to make them look like one button, whatever you click will restart playing anyways) and delimit the two icons with a slash, like on the hardware player: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-content ... 00x224.jpg, and then make them have the same color so it can have a solid consistency
2. The stop button has a drop-down arrow when the mouse is over it (and not clicked), like it would have other options (check attached snapshot)

Functional UI issues:
1. Selecting files using a regular expression doesn't seem to work. Try this: /[A-B]\w+
2. The right click on the seekbar (to stop the current song, from the frequency analyzer) is not working (in does in the alpha)
3. The folder structure in the browser is not arranged in alphabetical order. Expand a folder with lots of subfolders -> the subfolders are not listed in alphabetical order
Attachments
controls.png
controls.png (4 KiB) Viewed 686 times
Last edited by elektroinside on December 8th, 2014, 17:04, edited 2 times in total.

Blackout
Beta Tester

hi, in the spectrum analyzer mode you can move the cursor to highlight a particular frequency, are you supposed to be able to see what frequency this is that you've highlighted in orange? somewhere? eg 120hz? would be very handy to know what you've highlighted to be able to address mastering issues easier...
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Andreasvb

Blackout wrote:hi, in the spectrum analyzer mode you can move the cursor to highlight a particular frequency, are you supposed to be able to see what frequency this is that you've highlighted in orange? somewhere? eg 120hz? would be very handy to know what you've highlighted to be able to address mastering issues easier...
That should be disabled in the latest beta, as it will be in Pro version. The frequency display might make it to regular, though.

Tom can correct me if it's wrong.
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

elektroinside
Beta Tester

The sleep timer is not working with:
1. Stop -> Custom > 1 minute (it doesn't stop)
2. Custom time should be validated, if invalid characters are entered (for ex, letters) an error message should be displayed.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

elektroinside wrote:Cosmetic UI issues:
1. When a track is paused, both the play button and the pause button are active, yet they have different green color shades. An idea would be to simulate a real DJ CD Player: combine the play&pause buttons when the track is paused (or simulate to make them look like one button, whatever you click will restart playing anyways) and delimit the two icons with a slash, like on the hardware player: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-content ... 00x224.jpg, and then make them have the same color so it can have a solid consistency
Clicking the play button while it's playing makes it restart the track from the beginning, so I don't see how this would improve functionality making it a single button. Different colors helps denote that they are different buttons, and should help with not accidentally clicking the wrong one when you're doing stuff fast.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

BTGbullseye wrote:
elektroinside wrote:Cosmetic UI issues:
Clicking the play button while it's playing makes it restart the track from the beginning, so I don't see how this would improve functionality making it a single button. Different colors helps denote that they are different buttons, and should help with not accidentally clicking the wrong one when you're doing stuff fast.

When it's paused, and only when it's paused, whether you click on the play or on the pause will have the exact same action (resume playing), so they can be joined and can have the same color, even flash, like the leds of the button on the hardware player. When the track is playing, the buttons should be separated, because they have different actions when clicked, exactly how you described their behavior.

Blackout
Beta Tester

Andreasvb wrote:
Blackout wrote:hi, in the spectrum analyzer mode you can move the cursor to highlight a particular frequency, are you supposed to be able to see what frequency this is that you've highlighted in orange? somewhere? eg 120hz? would be very handy to know what you've highlighted to be able to address mastering issues easier...
That should be disabled in the latest beta, as it will be in Pro version. The frequency display might make it to regular, though.

Tom can correct me if it's wrong.
hi Andreas but for other spectrum modes (Logarithmic and Linear) there is a frequency indication from the mouse position (the mouse becomes a vertical line, with the "hz" shown at the top of the marker line, but not for the "Musical" spectrum mode? surely if it is to be a "pro" feature it would be disabled for all modes, not just for one of the modes? which makes me suspect there is just a problem with the Musical Mode ...

:)

Cheers,
Blackout

Blackout
Beta Tester

whats this business about? right-click on the meters and you get these options, but selecting "peak" or "vu" makes no difference and the "hold" settings aren't working either?

some secret squirrel stuff? seems to also be missing from the very latest beta 11144 also? hmmm
Attachments
peak.jpg
peak.jpg (117.64 KiB) Viewed 672 times

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

elektroinside wrote:When it's paused, and only when it's paused, whether you click on the play or on the pause will have the exact same action (resume playing), so they can be joined and can have the same color, even flash, like the leds of the button on the hardware player. When the track is playing, the buttons should be separated, because they have different actions when clicked, exactly how you described their behavior.
It may be significantly more trouble to code a joined pause, and he may have in the works a different action from the pause for one of the buttons...

elektroinside
Beta Tester

BTGbullseye wrote:
elektroinside wrote:When it's paused, and only when it's paused, whether you click on the play or on the pause will have the exact same action (resume playing), so they can be joined and can have the same color, even flash, like the leds of the button on the hardware player. When the track is playing, the buttons should be separated, because they have different actions when clicked, exactly how you described their behavior.
It may be significantly more trouble to code a joined pause, and he may have in the works a different action from the pause for one of the buttons...
True, but it was just a suggestion anyway. I don't know if it would make the player more awesome like this, or more functional, practical etc. But a quick fix, which i think is necessary though, without implementing any other code, is to change the color of the pause button when active with the one for the play button. Visually will have the same aspect with the play button which would suggest the same functionality. Other than this, everything else is just optional and suggestions, Tom will decide if it's useful or not and let us know. I could draw a demo, so we can see how it would look like joined, maybe it helps visualizing this 'feature request'...

Andreasvb

Blackout wrote:whats this business about? right-click on the meters and you get these options, but selecting "peak" or "vu" makes no difference and the "hold" settings aren't working either?

some secret squirrel stuff? seems to also be missing from the very latest beta 11144 also? hmmm
That menu is also for Pro.
It's disabled in latest beta, it wasn't supposed to be enabled (that's why nothing there works).

Please, always use the latest version when reporting, as old builds have been changed/fixed already. ;)
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

elektroinside
Beta Tester

BTGbullseye wrote:
And it would look like something like this (i attached 2 versions, what do you think guys?):
Attachments
playpause2.png
playpause2.png (9.59 KiB) Viewed 665 times
playpause.png

Blackout
Beta Tester

Andreasvb wrote: Please, always use the latest version when reporting, as old builds have been changed/fixed already. ;)
Translation: because special features have been hidden and tucked away better in the latest versions ;)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

elektroinside wrote:I have to admit that i also like the volume control of the alpha more than the beta. The jumping volume percent takes away that solid feeling which was absolutely awesome. I noticed though that the colors are darkened a little bit in the beta, so i guess the font color used before is not suitable anymore.
As I said, it's a compromise for now. It's very hard, when you look at color themes, to find good FG/BG color combinations the way it was.
Maybe you could try adding another object, which shows the volume percent all the time, like in the snapshot i attached. When actions like dimmer or mute are active, an idea would be to change the percent string with a D or M letter, or calculate the remaining volume percent when dimmed, when muted is 0%...
While this would work I try not to waste any toolbar space for the time being. The toolbar needs to be replaced sooner or later, and until I can properly scale/hide elements dynamically I need the space for planned features, e.g. pitching.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

elektroinside wrote:1. When a track is paused, both the play button and the pause button are active, yet they have different green color shades.
That's usually how DAW transport controls behave, which I'm sticking to.
An idea would be to simulate a real DJ CD Player: combine the play&pause buttons when the track is paused (or simulate to make them look like one button, whatever you click will restart playing anyways) and delimit the two icons with a slash
That could be an option, e.g. users could switch to that, but it wouldn't make sense. On a CDJ a play/pause button does exactly that: play, pause. In Resonic's transport bar play emits a play command. All transport commands behave differently following sometimes complex logic. A play plays, starts, or restarts. A pause unpauses, starts, but never restarts, etc.
The stop button has a drop-down arrow when the mouse is over it (and not clicked), like it would have other options (check attached snapshot)
The little arrow is actually a feature of the custom buttons and stop will indeed get its own options, like many other buttons will do. Something I have learned from Winamp is that almost none of its users even realized you could right-click its transport buttons.
1. Selecting files using a regular expression doesn't seem to work. Try this: /[A-B]\w+
I have fixed one part of your report, which is partial matching didn't work as expected. The current builds only do exact matches.
2. The right click on the seekbar (to stop the current song, from the frequency analyzer) is not working (in does in the alpha)
3. The folder structure in the browser is not arranged in alphabetical order. Expand a folder with lots of subfolders -> the subfolders are not listed in alphabetical order
Noted.

Edit:
elektroinside wrote:And it would look like something like this (i attached 2 versions, what do you think guys?):
Usability-wise I'd rather add an option later on, "Combine play/pause buttons", that does what it says: changed the icon of the play button.
Added it to the idea list.

Martin
I know my Resonics, all of them!
First Name: Martin

elektroinside wrote:3. The folder structure in the browser is not arranged in alphabetical order. Expand a folder with lots of subfolders -> the subfolders are not listed in alphabetical order
Can we get a little more info on that? Points of interest:
  • OS version
  • folder location (e.g. in a Windows library or on a plain disk)
A screenshot might also be helpful.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreavb wrote:That should be disabled in the latest beta, as it will be in Pro version. The frequency display might make it to regular, though. Tom can correct me if it's wrong.
That's right, I've removed that highlight for now. It's a bit tricky to figure out layout for the free and Pro versions at the same time. Since this is a musical analyzer the idea was to show the actual key and octave for each bar, reserved for the Pro though, along with some other information.

I could, however, show the center frequency for each bar in the free, then add the extra features + note to the Pro.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreasvb wrote:Please, always use the latest version when reporting, as old builds have been changed/fixed already. ;)
Yep.
The old builds are here for verification and comparison purposes only, because some "fix" might have made something worse.
Blackout wrote:
Andreasvb wrote: Please, always use the latest version when reporting, as old builds have been changed/fixed already. ;)
Translation: because special features have been hidden and tucked away better in the latest versions ;)
Well no, the level meter is as-is in the free, but will have lots of additional options in the Pro. There are always some elements that accidentally remain in the Player version. In this case the menu was still shown, but the options didn't do anything as the code behind them was disabled.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:I could, however, show the center frequency for each bar in the free, then add the extra features + note to the Pro.
That would be awesome! :mrgreen:

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Re: 11231 - Beta Test

resonic-test-141209-11231b
Plus many smaller fixes.
+ FLAC core decoder updated to 1.3.1
* Fixed jumpy frequency display in analyzer when playback starts (and after stop)
+ Use ALT-WHEEL to seek in the track when mouse is inside visualization area
(on waveform, analyzers, etc.).
Note that ALT-WHEEL on the file list jumps between tracks.
+ Use CTRL-ALT-WHEEL to randomly seek in the track when mouse is inside the visualization area
(on waveform, analyzers, etc.).
Note that CTRL-ALT-WHEEL on the file list randomly jumps between tracks.
Attachments
resonic-test-141209-11231b.png
Fixes

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Working nicely so far... Peaking at 1.5% processor usage on a compression level 8 FLAC with visualization. (i5-3210m processor)

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Martin wrote:
elektroinside wrote:3. The folder structure in the browser is not arranged in alphabetical order. Expand a folder with lots of subfolders -> the subfolders are not listed in alphabetical order
Can we get a little more info on that? Points of interest:
  • OS version
  • folder location (e.g. in a Windows library or on a plain disk)
A screenshot might also be helpful.
Sure Martin, here you go:

Folder location: external hard drive (check folder structure in the attached screenshot)
Resonic build: resonic-test-141209-11231b.zip
Attachments
browser.png

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Issues with resonic-test-141209-11231b:
1. Double clicking a folder in the browser will not start playing tracks from the folder
2. There is no "Modified" option/column in the file list, to sort the files by modified date (this was extremely useful...)
Last edited by elektroinside on December 10th, 2014, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Feedback & feature requests

Feedback on available features:
1. Browser > Add recursively: awesome !!!
2. Browser context menu > Explorer menu: awesome!
3. Loaded in just a few secs (recursively) more than 28.000 audio files, without crashing: awesome!
4. Windows 8.1 Activity Monitor shows a very high disk usage (reading of files) after loading in the file list the above mentioned ~28.000 files (but this is normal and the behavior is stable, still no crashes), 603 handles, 26 threads, max 6% processor time, constant 5% processor time, aprox. 100MB memory usage (working set).

Feature requests:
1. Global hotkey for: play previous/next song (according to sorting options in the file list IF 'Play sequentially' is selected, randomly IF 'Play in random order' is selected). If playlists will be available (and selected instead of the browser and file list), the previous/next should work just for the playlist (not the browser file list). In short, the previous/next should only work for what is on the screen of the user, as it's sorted in the list
2. Queue a song and queue list management (from the keyboard, hitting for example the 'Q' key and from the context menu), if these features won't be available when the "playlists" are implemented
3. 'Remove' silence from the beginning and the end of songs according to custom db settings (i know it requires buffering and lots of settings, so not that important, but useful). This could significantly slow down resonic.
Last edited by elektroinside on December 10th, 2014, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Alt
Beta Tester

elektroinside wrote: When it's paused, and only when it's paused, whether you click on the play or on the pause will have the exact same action (resume playing), so they can be joined and can have the same color.
Wouldn't be better just to make "play" button innactive when track is paused (Or at least disable lighting on 'play' button in pause mode)? Player already has similar behaviour for unusable buttons ("stop after current file" button becomes innactive when "Loop current track indefinetily" gets enabled). That will look better + user won't be confused where to click to resume playback :)
elektroinside wrote: 1. Global hotkey for: play previous/next song (according to sorting options in the file list IF 'Play sequentially' is selected, randomly IF 'Play in random order' is selected
That's implemented already but commands (<transport.next>, <transport.previous>) aren't signed yet.
---
As for other/new request, they don't really belong to this topic.
Tom wrote: For now, please concentrate on the things that are currently there.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Alt wrote:That's implemented already but commands (<transport.next>, <transport.previous>) aren't signed yet.
True, thanks, i somehow missed this one!
Alt wrote:As for other/new request, they don't really belong to this topic.
True, these go to the "Suggestions" section, sorry.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

elektroinside wrote:1. Double clicking a folder in the browser will not start playing tracks from the folder
Yep, currently broken.
2. There is no "Modified" option/column in the file list, to sort the files by modified date (this was extremely useful...)
Noted, there is no code for date columns yet. Have to add that back in asap.
3. Loaded in just a few secs (recursively) more than 28.000 audio files, without crashing: awesome!
Sticking to the goal to be the fastest ^^
4. Windows 8.1 Activity Monitor shows a very high disk usage (reading of files) after loading in the file list the above mentioned ~28.000 files (but this is normal and the behavior is stable, still no crashes), 603 handles, 26 threads, max 6% processor time, constant 5% processor time, aprox. 100MB memory usage (working set).
This is indeed normal, but memory usage could be reduced in future Betas in several smaller optimization steps.
elektroinside wrote: 1. Global hotkey for: play previous/next song (according to sorting options in the file list IF 'Play sequentially' is selected, randomly IF 'Play in random order' is selected).
The hotkeys are already available, but not translated yet:
<transport.next>
<transport.previous>
3. 'Remove' silence from the beginning and the end of songs according to custom db settings (i know it requires buffering and lots of settings, so not that important, but useful). This could significantly slow down resonic.
It doesn't require buffering, you just have to know where stuff begins and ends. This will find its way into later versions of Resonic.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Alt wrote:As for other/new request, they don't really belong to this topic.
Agreed.

I've updated the Beta testing notes accordingly.

I've also set up a new thread for Beta-related feature suggestions, of course not visible to the public.

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Just another note on loading all the ~28.000 files:

WMP: crashed
Winamp: crashed
XMPlay: crashed
AIMP3: crashed
VLC: crashed
KMPlayer: crashed
MusicBee: crashed
Foobar: crashed
Media Monkey: bloated player, crashed
XING: didn't crash, but loaded only ~4000 files
XION: crashed
BSPlayer: crashed
ITunes: hate that bloatware, didn't try

Notes about the imported folders: contains all kind of file types, not just audio files, and also have a few corrupted audio files.

So the only player which successfully loaded all tracks was RESONIC! Not only imported, but it did it in just a few secs, no processor spikes or huge memory consumption and instant playback while and after loading them! Well done Tom!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

elektroinside wrote:Just another note on loading all the ~28.000 files:
So the only player which successfully loaded all tracks was RESONIC! Not only imported, but it did it in just a few secs, no processor spikes or huge memory consumption and instant playback while and after loading them! Well done Tom!
It's often the meta loading that crashes other players. The Beta has an all new and shiny meta core. So after all the insane effort that goes into the project does pay off!

Makes me smile. Thanks for sharing :)

elektroinside
Beta Tester

Tom wrote: It's often the meta loading that crashes other players. The Beta has an all new and shiny meta core. So after all the insane effort that goes into the project does pay off!

Makes me smile. Thanks for sharing :)
You're welcome! Keep up the awesome work!