Who's got a huge sample collection?

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Who's got a huge sample collection?

Hi there,

development is going swimmingly with some big features on the horizon, however, I need your help.

Anyone here who has several thousands of megabytes, ideally hundreds of gigabytes or terabytes, of audio samples for audio/music production on their hard disks can help. The more files, the better.

This involves a bit of trust: I need complete sample file lists in order to analyze common patterns in the structure and names which will help optimize one of the major features of Resonic Pro - database search. However, I would in any case handle your lists with the utmost discretion. The only interest I have is analyzing the file names contained in there, when done I'll throw the lists away.

Wanna help? I'd post a simple batch file that generates the list.

Cheers, Tom
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

gavanbruderer
My fingers are bleeding

Re: Who's got a huge sample collection?

Absolutely. I have just under 1TB of production and sound effects. I'd be happy to help!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

gavanbruderer wrote:Absolutely. I have just under 1TB of production and sound effects. I'd be happy to help!
Great gav! :)

I've attached a very simple and straight-forward list generation script. Please read the included readme.txt for instructions.

The files can get pretty big, even as .zip/.7z/.rar, so it's probably best to temporarily (!) upload it somewhere or send it directly to me via instant messaging.
Attachments
generate-sample-list.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

I've got both hundreds of Gigas of samples and mp3 collection... and i'm willing to help ;)

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:I've got both hundreds of Gigas of samples and mp3 collection... and i'm willing to help ;)
I appreciate the help!

I'm just interested in the sample collection, its structure and the naming. Just grab the script off the previous post and read the included readme.txt.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Sent you a pm

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:Sent you a pm
Just email the compressed text files to tom@resonic.at :) Thanks, James!

JamesEW
Beta Tester

I havn't deleted any messages.

I have just emailed you my list.rar to tom@resonic.at

Hope it helps.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Just curious. How do you generally go about analysing large .txt files with thousands of lines.
Is there any smart program that can read these .txt files in a more meaningful / easy to navigate way?

Reason I ask is that your script does something that I had been looking for, for a while. I had downloaded some freeware to accomplish this task - create a text file database of my entire music collection, however it is not very easy to read / browse.

If only there was a way to open the .txt file and have a tree navigation view / structure to browse it all so it replicates the view I have when using windows explorer to navigate my music collection.

I'm sure this exists but I'm unsure how to phrase it well enough to find what i'm looking for.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:Just curious. How do you generally go about analysing large .txt files with thousands of lines.
Is there any smart program that can read these .txt files in a more meaningful / easy to navigate way?
I don't know of programs, but basically the process is very labour-intensive. It's a combination of several scripts that combine/sort/clean up/search the lists and a lot of manual analyzing. So basically i'm looking for certain patterns that are of relevance for Resonic and then try to build something that tries to make use of this information in a meaningful way. And the more different sample lists I combine the better.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Ah I see,

Would be really useful if there was some freeware that can parse the lines of a text document back into a browsable collapsible tree folder like structure. Some say this can be done with winrar but I can't seem to find out how or i've misunderstood. Anyway not to go on a tangent....

Did you get my email with the list attached? If not, i'll send it over again / find some hosting and link it here.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:Would be really useful if there was some freeware that can parse the lines of a text document back into a browsable collapsible tree folder like structure. Some say this can be done with winrar but I can't seem to find out how or i've misunderstood. Anyway not to go on a tangent....
Afair you can pack empty folder structures with WinRAR (somehow), but that's it. Why don't you use some kind of cataloging tool?
Did you get my email with the list attached? If not, i'll send it over again / find some hosting and link it here.
Oh yep, I received it and the list's already merged into the big one. Sorry, didn't get round to answering the email!

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Sorry for the late reply.
I just sent you an e-mail with attacehd files, i hope it will help^.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:Sorry for the late reply.
I just sent you an e-mail with attacehd files, i hope it will help^.
Thanks!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Anyone else who'd send me some sample file lists?

RoastJob
Getting the hang of it
First Name: RoastJob
Primary DAW: Renoise

I've got a samplepack collection of 60gb. is that enough for you?