Alpha 0.5.8a Build 7247 RC2 [Alpha 999]

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Alpha 0.5.8a Build 7247 RC2 [Alpha 999]

This is the Alpha 999 release candidate 2.

Many of the changelog items were re-ordered, so please re-read the Alpha 999 part of whatsnew.txt.

This build contains countless performance updates, in addition to the usability updates. The application should start and exit much, much faster, besides being much more responsive.

Give this a good test-run!

This is also the last test build before the final public Alpha release!

Continuation of these threads:
Build 70xx Performance Blind Test
Build 7053 (Alpha 999 RC)
Build 6980 (Alpha 999)

Thanks!
Attachments
resonic-test-140118-7247.zip
(214 Bytes) Downloaded 34 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Andreasvb

Re: Build 7247 (Alpha 999 RC2)

Works good!
Apart from the inability to remove nonexistent bookmarks, it's good to go.

Great work, as you know already!
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

PHM
Likes it here

Congrats Tom, you tackled the closing-issue on my system.
Closes almost instantly now!!!
Andreasvb wrote:Apart from the inability to remove nonexistent bookmarks, it's good to go.
Works on my system..
Created a folder, bookmarked, refreshed, deleted folder, refreshed, folder becomes greyed out, unckecked bookmark via right-click, refreshed, folder disappears from the bookmark list..

Great work, indeed!
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (SP1)
Resonic Beta 0.6.3b

Andreasvb

If you create them now, it seem to work. The old one aren't checked, so can't remove. :D
Bookmarking it again will make a dupe.
I can just make a new profile, no worries.

# When playing an XM that has a loop and Loop current track is on, it start from the beginning on the waveform instead of where the loop starts.

? Show in Explorer doesn't seem to work (Show Folder in Explorer does), with Clover.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

? Show in Explorer doesn't seem to work (Show Folder in Explorer does), with Clover.
Tried it, works here for files and folders, in file list, browser, with header filename, with and without Clover.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Andreasvb

Strange, mine loses focus but doesn't activate anything, will try some more.

LopDog
Likes it here

Tried it, works here for files and folders, in file list, browser, with header filename, with and without Clover.[/quote]

-It doesn't work for me too, for replicate the bug. I play a song in a folder, then i navigate on a another folder, and right click on the desired file that i want to see the folder on my explorer.
The bug is there .
The folder which is opening is the folder of the song played and not the file that i want to see on my explorer.

-I don't know if it's a "bug" but if i play a file, and i navigate on an another folder. If this file in current playing go the end if the song. the next song played is not the next song on the same folder, but a song on the folder that you explore.

I can replicate the bug as i want.
I know that my english is bad, tell me if you understand me

Edit1: I also notice that the numbers list columns don't work very well. It list the file on a kind of sequence, but it don't fit with my folders. I mean, imagine a folder with a music album. I want to play the files with the correct order. The software can't do that because the order of sequence is read differently.
Resonic Exempleb.jpg
Here is my screen
Check my screen @ attached file
Last edited by LopDog on January 20th, 2014, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

Andreasvb

Not quite the same, but that issue is also happening for me, current playing song's folder opens regardless of folder you're in.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Well, it's not a bug, but obsolete behavior: in fact it uses the actively playing file.
I have just recently improved selections a lot and it now does make sense to improve this behavior as well. Will look into it today.

About the numbering issue, well yeah, I can see how this might be confusing. The # column was originally intended to be used for playlists only and right now it really is just the unsorted order in which Windows is reporting the files. At the point of listing I don't know the track number from the file tags (e.g. ID3v2) yet.
I'll think of something and do some tests. At worst I'd add another column for tag track #.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

Sorry I haven't had chance to respond to the various test builds lately. Been really busy with work. I'll try and give this a good test and report back asap.

I do have some thoughts on the mouse / volume behavior - whether it might be more useful to use the mouse wheel for precision seeking on the waveform e.g. roll to advance 1 second, rather than for volume control.

I think it might be useful also to make the mouse roll on time display behavior work so that the time seek increments are much smaller or maybe we can define these in the options e.g. 1 sec, 2 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec etc. I think they are 6 seconds right now?

I assume this is coincidence here but I use the shuffle mode a lot, playing back folders of a few hundred tracks. It seems to end up playing a few of the same tracks quite often despite there being a large pool to choose from.

Logic tells me random is exactly that and this is coincidence over anything to do with the build code but I thought i'd note it.
Is there a way to implement shuffle so that it doesn't select a track that has previously been played in a single session?

I'll hopefully report back on the performance of this build by this week. Sorry.

Andreasvb

Shuffle mode isn't implemented yet, it's grey atm.
Random is like dice, shuffle is like a deck of cards.

mrfox
Beta Tester

Only issue here is problem with the track numbers. Everything else seems to be working as expected.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

LopDog wrote:-I don't know if it's a "bug" but if i play a file, and i navigate on an another folder. If this file in current playing go the end if the song. the next song played is not the next song on the same folder, but a song on the folder that you explore.
That's intended, as Resonic is primarily a folder player. This would only improve with the introduction of playlists.
I mean, imagine a folder with a music album. I want to play the files with the correct order. The software can't do that because the order of sequence is read differently.
Well, as long as the file names are numbered (which is the default for my archive, at least) you can always sort by file name. I think it's very bad practice to just use ID3 tags for track numbering.

I'll most likely add a "track number" column in one of the next updates, because I'm already reading the ID3 track numbers.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Andreasvb wrote:Random is like dice, shuffle is like a deck of cards.
Very well put. I'll quote this one ^^

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:Sorry I haven't had chance to respond to the various test builds lately. Been really busy with work. I'll try and give this a good test and report back asap.
Well, thanks for letting me know!
I do have some thoughts on the mouse / volume behavior - whether it might be more useful to use the mouse wheel for precision seeking on the waveform e.g. roll to advance 1 second, rather than for volume control.
Sooner or later I will have to add in mouse button/wheel customization options, because there are too many combinations and I'd let the user decide.
I think it might be useful also to make the mouse roll on time display behavior work so that the time seek increments are much smaller or maybe we can define these in the options e.g. 1 sec, 2 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec etc. I think they are 6 seconds right now?
It's a fraction of the total length right now, but an option for this will happen, yes.
Is there a way to implement shuffle so that it doesn't select a track that has previously been played in a single session?
Yes, but I need to complete playlists first, then I'll go for some proper shuffling code. Maybe an indication that a file has already been played.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

I hear you on the random / shuffle difference. I thought this was the case. I look forward to the shuffle implementation!

Just to add, performance of this build seems stable to me, opening and closing the application is fast, loading waveforms too.

The show in explorer (both options) works well for me. Is there a way to make multiple selections of tracks and show in explorer so that all are highlighted instead of the first selection?

Edit - "It doesn't work for me too, I play a song in a folder, then i navigate on a another folder, and right click on the desired file that i want to see the folder on my explorer, The folder which is opening is the folder of the song played and not the file that i want to see on my explorer." This is the same on mine but I see your aware of this now.

I think this is intentional but when you resize the window to a small size, the volume bar turns into a thin line. I think this was mentioned previously? Its not a problem for me but maybe this could be placed vertically and scale in the same way as the level meters.

That said, i'm sure there are many more important elements to work on at the moment and volume is completely functional and easy to use.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

JamesEW wrote:Is there a way to make multiple selections of tracks and show in explorer so that all are highlighted instead of the first selection?
Yep, added this just yesterday. It'll be in the public release.
I think this is intentional but when you resize the window to a small size, the volume bar turns into a thin line. I think this was mentioned previously? Its not a problem for me but maybe this could be placed vertically and scale in the same way as the level meters.
This is a visual bug and not intended: the controls wrap into a second line, what you see is the top part of the volume bar. I'm still not sure how to fix this, might have to replace the whole toolbar sooner or later. Until I have a solution this is on low priority.

Blackout
Beta Tester

Re: 7247 - Alpha 999 RC2

nice work Tom...starts up and closes great now!

I do have a small request that would make sense, im going to go put it in the right part of the forum now ;)

Cheers,
Blackout

Blackout
Beta Tester

problem: shift-right click on a file (to get the windows menu instead of the resonic menu)...go to Properties, and rename the file. then go back to resonic. file is not renamed on screen, and will not play either.

cheers,
Blackout

mmote

Blackout wrote:file is not renamed on screen, and will not play either.
Folders are not monitored for changes yet, so you'll have to manually refresh them by hitting F5.