Alpha 70xx - Performance Blind Test

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Alpha 70xx - Performance Blind Test

I have prepared a special performance blind test.

The .zip file contains the latest Resonic build, but multiple .exe files, each one optimized in a different way.

Please try them all, pick your favorites, and report your impression about the overall application performance. Also make sure you observe how fast each .exe starts and exits, and whether it is blocking on exit, which we have discussed in the other threads.

You can optionally copy over your personal profile/ folder.

Thanks!
Attachments
resonic-test-140117-70xx-blind-test.zip
(214 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

Andreasvb

Re: Build 70xx Performance Blind Test

Only resonic-w.exe / resonic-w-mm.exe were kind of good.

Following files are being written fairly much (total 1000+ lines):
config-2.db-wal
config-2.db-shm

Can you try one without writing any config files? :D
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

Blues
Starting to like this

Can't say that I see much of a difference in terms of start-up speed. Tried on my slowest machine, but still, no discernible difference.

It is not the fastest start-up of all players, but ranks among the top third, I'd say.
Would it make a difference if it is called up by double-clicking an MP3 file? To test that, I would have to assign the different versions one after another to handle MP3, too much hassle right now. Just wondering .... but this probably wouldn't change anything, would it?

Andreasvb

Blues, please read this thread for the background, http://forums.resonic.at/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=155 :)
It's mostly when exiting it's slow, most of the time, for some.
:ugeek: Windows 10 Pro x64 / Resonic Pro - Beta 0.8.9

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Blues wrote:Can't say that I see much of a difference in terms of start-up speed.
Looking into this at well.

Out of interest, do you have favorite folders set in the browser? If so, how many and on how many different drives?
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

Blackout
Beta Tester

massive difference here!!

resonic d
resonic d-mm
resonic t
resonic t-mm are all the same. 7-8 seconds to close! (=bad) loadup times were around 1-2seconds and consistent across all 4.

the winners by a mile !! were
resonic w
resonic w-mm

both had close times of 1.5 seconds or so! compared with 7-8seconds this is a massive difference.

resonic w-mm was slightly faster in the loadup time. I would say 1sec loadup time comparted with resonic w which was perhaps 1.5 seconds. resonic w-mm just "felt" faster in the loadup time but it was not by much.

the clear winner was resonic w-mm

cheers,
Blackout.

Blues
Starting to like this

Thanks Andreasvb, for filling me in with the other thread.
Tom wrote:... do you have favorite folders set in the browser?
Nope. Just tried it out but it didn't let me bookmark at all. Need more time to check into that, but won't have time before end of next week.

mrfox
Beta Tester

No real difference here at all, sometimes they're slower, sometimes faster, without any reasonable explanation, but there's one strange thing I thought I'd mention:
When I first started the -d.exe, closing it was instant (tested on 2 computers). But when I start it again, the shutdown issue is there, even if I remove the Profiles folder. No problem on SSDs as stated before.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

Happy to say that all these results did their part in pushing me in the right direction and after three restless days of coding I seem to have found several causes responsible for this.

I'll have a new build ready today.