Alpha 5387

Discuss Beta and Unstable builds here
Forum rules
Grab the latest unofficial Resonic builds at stuff.liqube.com and discuss them here.
Join our Discord at discord.liqube.com for updates, chats and talks.
Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio
First Name: Tom
Primary DAW: Live
Resonic: Pro

Alpha 5387

Read the included instructions.txt and changelog.txt.

This is a work in progress of the complete core player rework. Let me know anything that's off, or feels weird.
Note that as usual this is a test build, i.e. not all features might work exactly as advertised.

Some of the new features, posted recently on Facebook and in the Labs section, are now part of this and for you to test:
  • startup resume
  • maintain playback position
  • fade outs functional again, e.g. right-click into wave, stop, or NUM-0
  • overall stability
Does this build feel a bit faster, a bit slower, or about the same as the last one?
Attachments
resonic-test-131007-5387.zip
(214 Bytes) Downloaded 34 times
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

A user interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good.

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Re: Build 5387

Feels very fast to me, slightly faster than last build. Startup resume works perfectly. Can't seem to figure out what you mean by "keep playing" though... Are you talking about the "stop after current file" (which works great) or the "maintain playback position when switching files"? (another that function perfectly)
I don't suffer from insanity... I'm still insane though.

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

BTGbullseye wrote:Can't seem to figure out what you mean by "keep playing" though... Are you talking about the ... "maintain playback position when switching files"
Yep, that's the one.
Join our Discord for chat and talk (not just Resonic related) and beta testing; or the Resonic Users group on FB.

mrfox
Beta Tester

The resume playback option is great, but I think there should be an option to prevent the player to actually resume playback, but resume to the position with paused state. So it's more like a "remember position on exit" or something like that :)

The Stability is really improved, the file list scroll is way faster than before.

"Maintain playback position" is also very useful (even for simple usage like clicking through many files to find something)!

Irrelevant to this build, an idea which is more like a request: could it be possible to display both the waveform and a spectrum analyzer the same time side-by-side or above each other?

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

Tom wrote:Yep, that's the one.
Ok good. :)
mrfox wrote:The resume playback option is great, but I think there should be an option to prevent the player to actually resume playback, but resume to the position with paused state. So it's more like a "remember position on exit" or something like that :)

Irrelevant to this build, an idea which is more like a request: could it be possible to display both the waveform and a spectrum analyzer the same time side-by-side or above each other?
I agree with these!

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mrfox wrote:The resume playback option is great, but I think there should be an option to prevent the player to actually resume playback, but resume to the position with paused state. So it's more like a "remember position on exit" or something like that :)
definitely. i would've added that, but all these features come with the (damn) settings dialog which i still haven't fully implemented yet. i don't want to clutter the mini menu.

also, i'm just adding a little feature: hold CTRL while starting resonic to prevent auto resume, just go to the last folder, regardless of the option.
internal drawing stuff is already prepared for that, so sooner or later it'll become a feature, yep. maybe have some predefined layouts.

mrfox
Beta Tester

Sounds good! Thanks :)

LopDog
Likes it here

I found a bug, with the fade out feature , If right-click into wave, stop,and NUM-0 are the same shortcut.

-When i right click into the wave or stop, that set the volume at 50% whereas , when i push the Num-0's button , the volume stay at the same value.

Except that , i notice nothing, the new features run pretty well.

-Can we changing the time indicator of the playback position ? i mean if i don't want that the player show me the remaining time but i want that it show me the time spent.

JamesEW
Beta Tester

I'll give this a good test this week. I didn't notice anything wrong with the previous build during use. Stability seemed good to me.

I hope to not sound cheeky here but you know the feature suggestion I was talking about in my thread RE: having the bookmarks folder behave so that a user could add their entire music directories(s) and it would list all of its contents in one go, therefore enabling the user to randomly play their music from their collection - Do you think some sort of feature like this could be implemented? - Basically any way to facilitate random playback from a folder with multiple subdirectories.

Would there be significant slow down, scanning lots of sub directories and files into one list? Is there anything in the works for this and would this likely be ready for the next build?

I only ask this because I really want to start using this as my main media/music player (scrapping JetAudio, WMP, etc)
It works elegantly playing music randomly from a single folder.

Cheers.

pumafred
Really likes it here

Hi,
I am back with my usual topic: how to read flac files in folders in networked computers.
I cannot. Am I doing something wrong?
- In your browser, I see the other PCs.
- I click on the target one, and I have the options Music, Pictures, Playlists, Videos
- I click on Music. After a while I see a list of items, including Folders.
- I click on Folders. (I have my music organized as folders Artist/Album.) After a while, the list of folders (Artists) shows up.
- I click on one Artist, and his Album folders show up.
- Full of hope, I click on the Album folder and nothing more happens. Nothing appears in the file list, where all the songs (FLAC), should appear.
(I can see all of these if I use Explorer.)

Any suggestion?

FYI, I am using Windows 8 Pro on all of these PCs.

Blues
Starting to like this

I agree with BTGbullseye, it seems faster than the previous build.
Still missing a smoother way to adjust A-B loop positions without having to start over (I don't mean to be pushy, though, just a reminder observation)
LopDog wrote:Can we changing the time indicator of the playback position ? i mean if i don't want that the player show me the remaining time but i want that it show me the time spent.
Simply click on it and it will cycle through the various times (elapsed, remaining)

mrfox
Beta Tester

pumafred wrote:Hi,
I am back with my usual topic: how to read flac files in folders in networked computers.
I cannot.
I don't have this problem, flac files are displayed and played without problems from remote computers (using the default windows share over samba protocol, both on Windows 8 Pro and 8.1 Pro). Is it working in other media players? It might be some kind of network/permission related issue, or something more unique, it surely sounds interesting to me.

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Hi
Yesterday, i experience a program "freeze" for several seconds (maybe 10sec), while i clicked on a MP3 file in order to play it.
It was a long mp3 (a 144Mo dj mix), but still, i don't remember Resonic hanging previously;
I tried with another similar file, and i had to wait for a couple of second before the payback start : it is not bad, but not thunder fast. I don't know if it is a normal behaviour (i didn't try to play many dj mixes), and it is not a big concern, but i wanted to report it.
Kind regards

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

LopDog wrote:-When i right click into the wave or stop, that set the volume at 50% whereas , when i push the Num-0's button , the volume stay at the same value.
fixing it now.
JamesEW wrote:having the bookmarks folder behave so that a user could add their entire music directories(s) and it would list all of its contents in one go
working on this, it's one of the biggest chunks. reason: currently the list can not hold two files with the same name (even if in different folders). that's why folder recursion is still disabled.
Would there be significant slow down, scanning lots of sub directories and files into one list?
slower, but not significantly.
pumafred wrote:I am back with my usual topic: how to read flac files in folders in networked computers.
not sure what's causing this, but please post a couple of screenshots (sorry if you already have), i have so many things to look into, screenshots always help. you can simply attach them here to your posts as the upload limit is generous.
wshaper wrote:Yesterday, i experience a program "freeze" for several seconds (maybe 10sec), while i clicked on a MP3 file in order to play it.
It was a long mp3 (a 144Mo dj mix), but still, i don't remember Resonic hanging previously;
sounds like you have 'menu | advanced | accurate pre-scans' enabled. this pre-scans the whole file for more accurate seeking, which is slow.

mrfox
Beta Tester

While listening a long flac file the spectrum analyzer stopped working. Both spectrum analyzers were empty, but I could still se the waveform. Only restarting the player fixed the problem. Screenshot attached:
disappeared.png
disappeared.png (11.67 KiB) Viewed 770 times

wshaper
Beta Tester
Primary DAW: Reaper, Live

Tom wrote:
wshaper wrote:Yesterday, i experience a program "freeze" for several seconds (maybe 10sec), while i clicked on a MP3 file in order to play it.
sounds like you have 'menu | advanced | accurate pre-scans' enabled. this pre-scans the whole file for more accurate seeking, which is slow.
Yes, indeed.
Is it enabled by default or did i do something ?

pumafred
Really likes it here

mrfox wrote:
pumafred wrote:Hi,
I cannot.
I don't have this problem, flac files are displayed and played without problems from remote computers (using the default windows share over samba protocol, both on Windows 8 Pro and 8.1 Pro). Is it working in other media players? It might be some kind of network/permission related issue, or something more unique, it surely sounds interesting to me.
It works with VLC, but I will look deeper into the matter before blaming Resonic, since you have it working. Thanks!

pumafred
Really likes it here

Tom wrote:
pumafred wrote:I am back with my usual topic: how to read flac files in folders in networked computers.
not sure what's causing this, but please post a couple of screenshots (sorry if you already have), i have so many things to look into, screenshots always help. you can simply attach them here to your posts as the upload limit is generous.
Thanks for your prompt reply, as usual. Since another user has this working, I will examine further what is going with my setup before burdening you with info. If I fail, I may decide to burden you anyway! :D

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

mrfox wrote:While listening a long flac file the spectrum analyzer stopped working. Both spectrum analyzers were empty, but I could still se the waveform. Only restarting the player fixed the problem.
can you reproduce this with the file in question?

Tom
Liqube Audio
Liqube Audio

wshaper wrote:
Tom wrote:
Yes, indeed.
Is it enabled by default or did i do something ?
it's off by default, you might have ticked it

BTGbullseye
Beta Tester

mrfox wrote:While listening a long flac file the spectrum analyzer stopped working. Both spectrum analyzers were empty, but I could still se the waveform. Only restarting the player fixed the problem. Screenshot attached:
I have several long FLAC files I've listened to, (in several different bit depths, and frequencies) but never had this problem on mine...

mrfox
Beta Tester

Tom wrote: can you reproduce this with the file in question?
It was probably a network related issue, I couldn't really reproduce it. My best guess is that i had a momentary disconnection or something that prevented the proper streaming of the file. If it comes up again I'll try to investigate it more.